1950's Heatilator/Heatform removal and replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hmar

Mar 9, 2021
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some advice from those who have removed 1950's metal fireboxes. In this case it's a Heatilator.

The fireplace and chimney are on the exterior wall of a family camp and were built around 70 years ago. We had a mason inspect it last spring. He thought the heatilator was on its last legs and would soon need to be replaced.

My questions are-
Would be possible to remove (cut, grind, etc) the Heatilator from the inside without tearing out the entire stone surround? If so, is it possible to rebuild a masonry firebox and properly tie back in to flue tile?

Also- I’m not positive about this but it looks like the flue tile could be resting directly on top of the heatilator. How would you support the potential weight of the flue while tearing out the unit?

This project is on an island and very difficult to coordinate with and line up professionals to do the work. I repointed the entire outside of the chimney with my brother two years ago but we are carpenters not masons so this next step is much more daunting.

we would like to keep it as an open fireplace rather than the insert route but trying to get a clear idea of what we’re up against.

thanks in advance for any thoughts!

A6591208-93E9-47C8-81FA-651ADD48B42D.png A9370037-29D8-4C67-8172-3636F953A32D.jpeg AC5FC8AD-8AEE-4663-9802-AF6208C2CE63.jpeg

Yes the metal firebox can be cut out and replaced with masonry. But it needs allot more work than that. The way it passes through the wall is extremely unsafe

Yes the metal firebox can be cut out and replaced with masonry. But it needs allot more work than that. The way it passes through the wall is extremely unsafe
thanks, the mason who inspected it immediately pointed out that there is hardly any insulation between the cabin and the flue. He suggested building it out from the flue tile with 2" air space and minimum 4" of masonry between tile and any combustibles. Does that sound about right to you? We didn't use the fireplace since his inspection.

thanks, the mason who inspected it immediately pointed out that there is hardly any insulation between the cabin and the flue. He suggested building it out from the flue tile with 2" air space and minimum 4" of masonry between tile and any combustibles. Does that sound about right to you? We didn't use the fireplace since his inspection.
Yes that is what is required if you stay with clay liners. With an insulated liner you only need 4" of masonry