1970's Heatilator damper removal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ludlow

Minister of Fire
Jun 4, 2018
PA
Working on getting one going for other brother. Used a camera and inspected the back jacket and the entire firebox is very solid. No hint of rust out. One problem is the damper only opens a small bit and I can hear debris being compressed behind it. Tried vacuuming up, over and behind and there is quite a bit of leaves and junk. The thing hasnt been burned in who knows how long. I am trying to get the damper removed and it will not budge. Any clues? Is there a special way? Any other advice on inspecting and cleaning such a hard to reach area? Thanks.

Looks just like this:
157126-fc24c4c628a5db79cabc008a1f5db367.jpg

Many of them aren’t removable. You’ll just need to keep scraping and vacuuming at the mess. Maybe use some lubricant on the mating surfaces after it’s all cleaned out.

Webby is dead on there. And after you get all that crap out make sure to inspect the smoke shelf completly. If it has leaves on the shelf it obviously went without a cap for a long time. The shelf may very well be rusted out

Looking down from the top there is no visible debris on there. All the debris is behind the damper when opened. Why wouldnt the moveable damper plate be removable?

Are you trying to get it to work or trying to remove it for an insert or stove?

For now to work, with intent on an insert in the future if possible.

I've looked up mine before and it seemed like a grinder was only way to get it out.

Trying to convince wife an insert is way to go so was checking it out.

I've looked up mine before and it seemed like a grinder was only way to get it out.

Trying to convince wife an insert is way to go so was checking it out.
A sawzall or grinder is very effective at cutting the ears off of the plate.
In this instance, I think the OP intends to use it as a fireplace though.

A sawzall or grinder is very effective at cutting the ears off of the plate.
In this instance, I think the OP intends to use it as a fireplace though.

Cant get it open enough to even see them, whatever they are. Need some kind of description to even know whats behind it.

Cant get it open enough to even see them, whatever they are. Need some kind of description to even know whats behind it.
There are many different heatforms made they all have their own damper. Some can be removed but the majority on the need cut to come out. I just cut them in half then pull out the 2 halves. And if there is that much crap behind the damper chances are the shelf is not in great shape

Reactions: webby3650
Maybe a pro who has worked with one will see this. Cant be the first one.

Maybe a pro who has worked with one will see this. Cant be the first one.
I probably have but cant tell anything about what type box it is from that pic. The only ones that do come out you have to pull the handle then pry it one way or the other to slide the pin out. But very few come out.

Took the cotter pin out of the handle. The damper itself will not slide up. Wish there was a schematic on the web but just cant find any.

Took the cotter pin out of the handle. The damper itself will not slide up. Wish there was a schematic on the web but just cant find any.
It wont slide up it might slide to the side but it will take a pry bar to move it

Some times you can pry back in the middle and bow it enough to get the pins out but you will never get it back in

Can not get it open enough to see what to cut.
That is why i usually just cut it in half. But they you need a top sealer.

Can not get it open enough to see what to cut.
But try prying it sideways first. A few of them do come out its worth a try. Some go one way some go the other. Its worth a try

Thanks. Damned thing is making no sense to me.