1970's Pottery Stove Company (now out of business?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Moonwalker

Aug 27, 2018
New England
This may strain some memories. I'm looking for images of a type of stove my father bought back in 1974. I can't promise the info I remember is accurate but I believe it was made on Cape Cod. They were hand thrown glazed pottery, varied in color, and had a wide oval opening. they were circular if viewed from the top and were sold unfinished, as in the bottom had to be filled by the buyer with a mix that was sold with the stove. They were about three and a half feet in diameter but they also sold a smaller version. Some came with a small flat surface right in front of the flu opening.

They were awesome stoves. So good my dad bought the smaller one for me to put into a basement bedroom I built in his house. I used to sit right next to it with my coffee on it to keep it warm. I miss both those stoves and am very disheartened that I can't find even a blurry snap shot anywhere on Google. The nearest thing I can find is made with tiles, not solid ceramic, and has "feet" instead of just a round base.

I have a few pics but they are buried in a chest I can't get to right now. If I can at some point I will post them.

Anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? Anyone have any pics they can share? I'm curious as to what the company was that made them and whether it is even possible to find any anymore.

Thanks.

No. The Meridian is the one I referred to made with tiles that is not the stove we owned. The stoves we had were made entirely of solid ceramic, glazed with various colors. The color was in the glaze. No tiles. The glaze was not smooth like porcelain but pocked and a little bumpy.

The shape though, is very similar, but ours had no feet. Just a round flat base. And, they only came with oval shaped screens that hung on two bolts mounted on either side of the oval opening.

Last edited:
Finally found an image of one. This is in pretty rough shape by the looks but it's definitely the animal we had. Ours was quite a bit better looking than this. Mine (the little one with a flat warming top) would turn from yellow to bright orange when it got hot.

Found the image on the following page. A comment there (sadly unanswered) from someone wondering who made them as well.

cape1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: begreen