1978 Fabco zero clearance; replace with ?? help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Berticus

Mar 22, 2018
Boise, ID
This is my 1st post here and did not know if I needed to post in 'Classic' or 'stove/fireplace' section as I have several question and its a chain reaction decision making. Ok so I have a 1978 or older (house built in 78') fabco zero clearance fireplace that I have been wanting to replace for a long time now to something more efficient. DSC_0009.JPG

Now is the time as the covered patio that is behind the fabco is now becoming a new master suite.
Here is question 1 that I have ran into: how are these zero clearances installed as to be removed? Because of the odd nature that this was installed, by looking at it from the backside, I am finding I might have to demo the entire chase to top of chimney.
DSC_0011.JPG

So question 2 is if I have to demo out the whole chase/chimney then I am open to my 1st original choice of a supreme Duet 2 sided zero clearance replacement. Because everything will be gone I could go with 2 free standing wood stoves. We want a wood burning to be in both rooms which is why I was going with a 2 sided zero clearance in the hope of saving demo and money.

Time is important as I want to demo while the walls are not up yet. I have one more day of exterior brick removal as I am reclaiming them for the new exterior walls once up. Ceiling sheetrock coming down after brick.
DSC_0010.JPG

What is known: Cinder block chase all the way up through roof with brick exterior on top of roof. Looks like cinder block is not only built around but sitting on top of fireplace. Then there is a outer wall of cinder blocks that supports the outer edge of the chase. Looks half a$% construction in my opinion and now I have a can of worms that I have opened.

Thank you in advance for any help, Robert

Yes this is a zero clearance fabco fireplace (as far as I know) and there is a single wall pipe that goes up through the chase to cap.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. I am moving this to the main forum so that you get more exposure for modern stove solutions. At this point I am not sure what you have, a ZC fireplace or a heatform style metal fireplace. Is the chimney full masonry all the way to through the roof or is there a metal chimney in the block surround?

Last edited:
Yeah it looks rather odd not sure what it is either. But it certainly isnt a typical zc install

Welcome aboard. I am moving this to the main forum so that you get more exposure for modern stove solutions. At this point I am not sure what you have, a ZC fireplace or a heatform style metal fireplace. Is the chimney full masonry all the way to through the roof or is there a metal chimney in the block surround?
Yes this is a zero clearance fabco fireplace (as far as I know) and there is a single wall pipe that goes up through the chase to cap. The cinder blocks go all the way up past the roof. Thanks, Robert

Single wall metal pipe, with no clay liner? If that is the case this could be an unconventional homebrew solution. I may be wrong but this could be an regular insert that is sitting in an 8" cement block enclosure.

It sounds like the concrete enclosure needs to go regardless so that you can proceed with the room expansion. If that is the case you may want to fly these plans by an inspector. Wood stoves in bedrooms are frowned upon in some jurisdictions. They are allowed in some others if they have an outside air supply. Worth checking first with the inspecting authority and your insurance.

Here is a little update that I have found out. The fireplace is a older fabco insert not a fabco zero clearance. So if I decide to move forward I will have to demo the chimney/case to even remove the insert. I got a quote on the Supreme Duet which has changed in that it now requires the 2 8" hot air outlets which changes some things in my plans. I will post pics once I start the demo here in a few days.

The other question I have is dealing with what is required for a chase. do I have to go all the way up to the roof with it if I am using a class a piping all the way? Guess I am not understanding the function of the chase, in this case, other then cosmetic function to cover up pipe, fireplace and framing. If I went with the chase just to the room ceiling does it just stop there? If it goes to the roof it will be stopped by the ridge roof flashing? Just trying to understand how to get my chase install.
Thanks for the help, Robert

Last edited by a moderator: