1980's Fisher Fireplace Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cast-iron

May 12, 2020
Imperial, MO
Greeting all.

Well the COvid-19 got me to thinking about off the grid lifestyle and part of that is a self-sustaining heat source low cost! He is my situation. I currently have an elcheapO insert that I am pulling out and going to put in a Fisher Insert which will connect to a 8" double lined chimney. My question is what type of collar do I use that will accept the damper bar across the top of the firebox?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

1589316462272.png

Greeting all.

Well the COvid-19 got me to thinking about off the grid lifestyle and part of that is a self-sustaining heat source low cost! He is my situation. I currently have an elcheapO insert that I am pulling out and going to put in a Fisher Insert which will connect to a 8" double lined chimney. My question is what type of collar do I use that will accept the damper bar across the top of the firebox?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

View attachment 260125
Some pictures of what you have would be helpful

Search keyword "Fireplace Insert Boot". Available in stainless or cast iron. Cut a notch for rod and screw to insert top with self tapping screws, or drill and tap to bolt on. You can use flat gasket for glass installation between boot and Insert top.

Depending on chimney, you can install a baffle and not use the damper as much.

Search keyword "Fireplace Insert Boot". Available in stainless or cast iron. Cut a notch for rod and screw to insert top with self tapping screws, or drill and tap to bolt on. You can use flat gasket for glass installation between boot and Insert top.

Depending on chimney, you can install a baffle and not use the damper as much.
I actually find it works better to just use a normal round appliance adapter notched around the damper rod. It is a much smother and tighter transition to the liner.

I want to be sure the fireplace is safe for an insert though some of the wording made me a bit wary.

I actually find it works better to just use a normal round appliance adapter notched around the damper rod. It is a much smother and tighter transition to the liner.

I want to be sure the fireplace is safe for an insert though some of the wording made me a bit wary.
I think some are 7 1/2 ID which make it difficult to get the adapter in if you don't have crimpers?
The boot comes off on an angle too in case that is needed.

Yes, he may not even have HT pipe.

I think some are 7 1/2 ID which make it difficult to get the adapter in if you don't have crimpers?
The boot comes off on an angle too in case that is needed.

Yes, he may not even have HT pipe.
Every one I have done an 8" appliance adapter fit well. But I may just have been lucky. I also go with an assortment of elbows if need be. Boots certainly work I just prefer to keep it all round. I was not saying there was anything wrong with your suggestion at all.