1986 vermont castings defiant encore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

julieanne

Feb 7, 2009
Wyoming
I just bought a used VC defiant encore. It has a 8" flu--- flu collar?--- whatever it's called. I want to switch to a 6" flu but don't know where to get parts for a stove so old. Does anyone out there use this stove? Have any advice on use or parts?

This is not a recomended procedure for a defiant. This stove wants an 8" flue.

You have a model 0028 Defiant Encore. While the 0028 owner's manual does not specifically state that it can be vented in to a 6" flue, the latest encore models are specified to work with a 6" flue. Choice is yours. If it was me I would buy either the 6" collar or the oval to 6" adapter that VC makes and vent into 6" if that is what I have available. Either of these parts should be available from your local VC dealer or discountstoves.com.

Only drawback of venting an Encore into 6" is that you can not run the stove with the doors open.

I was running a Vigilant into a 6 inch pipe for a while, and although it did work, the stove was very temperamental. It would swing hot or cold real fast. I would say if you have extra money spend it on the 8inch or even 7inch (do they make 7inch insulated?) when you look at the cross sectional area you can see you are restricting it by almost half, 28insq compared to 50insq.

Status
Not open for further replies.