1988 VC Resolute

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Falc

Nov 4, 2017
Illinois
I was recently given a VC Resolute stove but it is completely in pieces. I have a few questions that I'm hoping y'all can help me with. I was told that if the inner sides are cracked then the stove is junk and shouldn't be used. Only one side of mine is cracked. Can the stove still be used safely? Also, the stove did not come with a combustion package. Is this absolutely necessary to have? I have found the owners manual online, along with a parts list, but I cannot find any assembly instructions. Anybody know where I can find some help to assemble? This stove is going in my small one car garage so I'm not to concerned with it running efficiently. Just need something to heat up the garage during the winter. Any help/advice y'all can give me is much appreciated!

OK, so on the side it'll actually say which it is. Have a look? If it's an Acclaim then it's pretty much party over. I wouldn't even bother putting git together. Yeah, really. Resolute on the other hand might be an awesome stove even with a cracked side, especially if someone had a replacement! (I do)

We have an early '80s Resolute. Last year, we replaced one of the inner walls as it was cracked. We bought the part from dealer in Minocqua, WI. The part came with a diagram for installing, which was a big help. I have read many threads here, where people (especially dealers/repair people) are down on Vermont Castings, but we used this little gem to heat our first house for about 12 years, and then moved it to our current house -- 2400 sq ft/2 story -- for at least another 15 years now (we kept it in storage for a while, because wood is, well, dirty! But it far cheaper than propane!) The only repair was the one cracked inner wall, plus new gasket under griddle a few times. We don't even turn our furnace on unless we are going to be gone for an extended period of time.

The original Resolute was a fine stove and very well built.