1989 Pacific Energy Standard D Series

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ront

Feb 10, 2016
Spokane, WA
Hi All,
First off, I just want to say hi to all of you as I am new here. I just found this site yesterday and did some reading and decided to join today:). Looks like a great bunch of people here and a lot of great information.

As in my title, I have a 1989 Pacific Energy Standard D Series stove. It appears to be the same as the Super 27 except that it does not have the "ash dump system". We bought a home about 3 years ago and this stove was there. I had never heard of Pacific Energy stoves before, but have found that they are a pretty respected stove. The stove seems to be in fairly good condition. The baffle is a bit warped and should be replaced someday, but does seem to work still.

This is where I have a couple questions.
First, will the new stainless steel baffle fir in this older stove?
Second, I have seen on the internet some talk about a baffle blanket. Is there supposed to be some kind of blanket (ceramic maybe) that should be laying on the topside of the baffle? there is nothing resembling any kind of blanket at all.

I have read that at least on the newer stoves (PE) that the baffle rails are replaceable. Again, my stove is pretty old. My baffle rails are warped a bit and they seem to be very solidly connected in the stove. Are the older rails removable?

Thanks for any information. I really appreciate it!!

Ron

Paging @thechimneysweep for a golden oldie renovation. I think you can update the stove with the new rails and baffle. Tom would know for sure. The baffle blanket for this stove is internal, inside the baffle.

Reactions: Ront
Right about when your stove was built, at serial #70000, PE switched from the original baffle design, which was welded to the air supply tube, to the new, removable baffle. If your baffle is removable, the new stainless steel version will fit.

While the new baffles have an internal chamber for the insulating blanket, the 1989 models did not: the ceramic blanket just sat on top of the baffle. If you're going to run with the existing baffle, all you need is a blanket kit. If you decide to replace the baffle, the new one will come with the encapsulated blanket as begreen described.

Your side rails are replaceable, but not very easily. They're spot-welded to the support brackets, and it takes a few good pops with a heavy hammer to break them loose. If you're going to attempt this, take care not to pop the brackets off!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ront and begreen
Right about when your stove was built, at serial #7000, PE switched from the original baffle design, which was welded to the air supply tube, to the new, removable baffle. If your baffle is removable, the new stainless steel version will fit.

While the new baffles have an internal chamber for the insulating blanket, the 1989 models did not: the ceramic blanket just sat on top of the baffle. If you're going to run with the existing baffle, all you need is a blanket kit. If you decide to replace the baffle, the new one will come with the encapsulated blanket as begreen described.

Your side rails are replaceable, but not very easily. They're spot-welded to the support brackets, and it takes a few good pops with a heavy hammer to break them loose. If you're going to attempt this, take care not to pop the brackets off!

Perfect!!!! Thanks for the information! Do you happen to know how much the blanket kit will cost! Do you happen to know a part #?
Also, what is the purpose of the baffle blanket?

I am not sure exactly what I am going to do yet. The baffle still works, but on the sides of the baffle, there are a few places where it has separated a bit and I would think that it is letting air out that should be being directed down into the fire through the baffle.

Thanks again to both of you for your help!!

BTW, the serial # on my stove is WH-71892.

Ron

Last edited:
The baffle blanket is an insulator: it traps heat in the baffle area below to ensure secondary burn temps. The blanket kit also includes new side blankets and a baffle gasket. It is part #SSER.506873 and sells for $60 + S&H.

Thanks again for the information!!

How bad is it to be using the baffle with the openings in the sides of it?

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.