1991 Arrow (heatilator) 2590 Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cimmy777

Sep 9, 2015
Anchorage
Hey guys and gals,

I've been reading the forums for a few months in preparation to upgrade my heating situation. I own a 2 story, 2300 square foot house in anchorage, AK. I am hoping to supplement high gas bills with an insert (won't rely completely on wood). I got some quotes around town and can't afford a $4500 (at the cheapest) investment to buy new. I was able to find a seller on Craigslist with an Arrow 2590 wood insert for $475. I know it's catalytic and the EPA rates it at 76% efficient, also they were bought out by Heatiltor but that's it. See link below for photos. I can't find any documentation. Any advice on this model or ideas on where I can find a user manual? I would really appreciate it, winter is coming!

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/hsh/5181178716.html

I know nothing of the insert, but it looks to be in decent condition. First, are you sure it will fit?? Second, inspect the cat. If it needs replacing, deduct $150. (Condar has it listed for $225). Other than that it is a risk if it needs anything. Finding parts could be very difficult.

What are the fireplace dimensions? Do you already have dry firewood?

Last edited:
I was a little worried about parts, but I did find a new cat online and the rest of the insert seems pretty solid. I am having the guy measure the back of it to make sure it fits. My fireplace is a prefab style with rock surround and hearth, the dimensions are:
Front - 42"
Back - 31"
Height - 27"
18" deep

What other parts should I worry about that could wear out? I think if the fan goes I can fix it or rig something up.

Also, how can I tell if the cat needs to be replaced? Thanks for the reply!

I have a big stack of 3 seasons dry firewood that was sold to me with my house. I plan on having it installed professionally for insurance purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given that you have a prefab the rules are a bit different. Many prefab ZC fireplaces don't allow insert installation. You may run into inspection or insurance issues.

Do you know the make and model of your fireplace? It's often listed on a tag inside the door frame.

IMAG1152.jpg

Here is a picture of my fireplace. Jotul and Blaze King vendors told me they could put regular inserts in this. These are very common in Alaska for some reason. The guy just tested me the box dimensions:
Front -27" (40 with flange)
Height - 21" (30 with flange)
17" deep

Technically it will fit but not sure about the fact that it's raised off the hearth.

Status
Not open for further replies.