1991 Regency wood stove repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

engmarg

May 23, 2021
Nova Scotia
I recently bought a house that came with small pedestal Regency wood stove that was manufactured in 1991. It is EPA certified to 1990 standards (manual here https://assets.regency-fire.com/get...0-499f-9fc1-0548cb3d91c2/R3-R7-R9-manual.aspx). The stove has not been used for several years and seems like it was not well maintained. It has some rust and the firebricks have disintegrated. I will try to attach some photos to show its general condition. (also planning on re-doing the flooring and setting it up to have proper clearances and ember pad etc).

I really like the idea of wood heat and would like to repair and maintain the stove, but I want to get a general impression of whether it's worth doing so before I go down that path. It seems like it would be a few hundred dollars to get the firebricks and baffles and a new stove pipe. I would also want to get it WETT certified for house insurance purposes. Is it realistic that I could clean and fix it up myself and then have a functional and insurable wood stove?

Any idea if these parts will work?:
https://friendlyfires.ca/products/regency-brick-kit-i1200/

Any advise or insight appreciated :)

IMG_20210523_221634.jpg IMG_20210523_221800.jpg IMG_20210523_222202.jpg IMG_20210523_223439.jpg

That doesn't look too bad. The rear firebricks often take the brunt of punishment if the owner slammed in wood and the splits banged against the rear wall.

Vacuum it out and replace the bad bricks. The stove may have pumice firebrick. If they feel quite light, that will be the case. Clean up the exterior with steel wool going from coarse to fine. Dust thoroughly with a tack rag, then wipe down with alcohol. Mask areas appropriately and then spray paint it with Stove Brite satin black. It will probably take 3 coats. Don't try to cover in one coat. The paint dries quickly and can be recoated in an hour. It will take at least 2 cans. Do this in a very well-ventilated area wearing a mask. When done, the stove will look like new.

Have the flue system cleaned and inspected by a professional to determine its condition. Replace pipe if necessary. Get dry wood. Poorly seasoned wood will result in an unsatisfactory burning experience.

Last edited:
I recently bought a house that came with small pedestal Regency wood stove that was manufactured in 1991. It is EPA certified to 1990 standards (manual here https://assets.regency-fire.com/get...0-499f-9fc1-0548cb3d91c2/R3-R7-R9-manual.aspx). The stove has not been used for several years and seems like it was not well maintained. It has some rust and the firebricks have disintegrated. I will try to attach some photos to show its general condition. (also planning on re-doing the flooring and setting it up to have proper clearances and ember pad etc).

I really like the idea of wood heat and would like to repair and maintain the stove, but I want to get a general impression of whether it's worth doing so before I go down that path. It seems like it would be a few hundred dollars to get the firebricks and baffles and a new stove pipe. I would also want to get it WETT certified for house insurance purposes. Is it realistic that I could clean and fix it up myself and then have a functional and insurable wood stove?

Any idea if these parts will work?:
https://friendlyfires.ca/products/regency-brick-kit-i1200/

Any advise or insight appreciated :)

View attachment 279002 View attachment 279003 View attachment 279004 View attachment 279005
It doesn't look bad but before spending any money clean it out well pull the bricks baffle etc and check for any cracks. If there aren't any, bricks baffle possibly gasket and the stove should be good. Then have the chimney inspected