1992 Woodstock Fireview 201 with cat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Teacher48

Jan 2, 2021
New York
I moved into my home in 1994, the fireview came with house. Absolutely beautifully set up. I have my own wood lot and have burned this stove every year from October through March 24 hours a day for 26 years. Replaced the baffles once about 10 years ago, replaced gaskets a few times. I have really never used the catalytic converter, either I never used it correctly at first or the cat itself was damaged when I bought the house but always had issues with it so I gave up. I actually removed it about 10 years ago. Obviously the stove owes me nothing.
There is really nothing wrong with the stove right now (Still looks great) but I’m considering buying a new one. My question is about the cat on the new 205s. For most of October and even November the temperatures outside are in the 40s if not 50 then the same in March. Do I simply not engage the cat or can the stove still be regulated with the cat engaged. My stove now does not overheat the space it’s in, big family room with big open kitchen and large open door ways to other spaces. Great set up for wood burning. I think I would enjoy the cleaner window and better wood burning but don’t want to buy new and not use the cat as I do now. Any thoughts from anyone about using the cat or the newer fireview. I’ve been burning wood for most of my life but have zero experience using a cat. E

It's a shame that the cat was never used. It is a key feature of the stove. The Fireview 205 has an improved baffle. If you get a new one, by all means, get used to using the cat. You will burn less wood and should see longer burns too.