1999 Toyota Solara Auto Shift stick not engaging!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I saw a YouTube video on just replacing the insert that broke on a GM front wheel drive car shift cable. Does anyone know if this repair can be done much cheaper without getting a whole new cable? See video here >

Well, I went to Home Depot Monday night. Came out, started the car and moved the shifter from Park to Reverse and it just slid. The car was stuck in park!

Using a Lug Wrench we could push the lever on the transmission to neutral, roll it out of the parking spot, then to drive and drive it to the garage!

The round plastic connector was still tightly clamped to the transmission shifting lever but the completely snapped off the cable!

New shift cable from Toyota is $233.10 and $90.00 labor to fix!

See pics
Click to enlarge. Last pic shows the location on the front side of engine behind radiator hose! Hard place to reach!

Attachments

• ToyotaShiftCable (2).jpg
    ToyotaShiftCable (2).jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 629
  • ToyotaShiftCable (3).jpg
    ToyotaShiftCable (3).jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 444
  • ToyotaShiftCable (4).jpg
    ToyotaShiftCable (4).jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 428
  • ToyotaShiftCable (5).jpg
    ToyotaShiftCable (5).jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 422
  • ToyotaShiftCable (6).jpg
    ToyotaShiftCable (6).jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 466
  • ToyotaShiftCableYA (1).jpg
    ToyotaShiftCableYA (1).jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 397
Do you have a question involving this situation or the repair?

If not what is the purpose of this thread?

pen

Do you have a question involving this situation or the repair?

If not what is the purpose of this thread?

pen

You are quick Pen, I just added the pics and question. Thanks

I saw a YouTube video on just replacing the insert that broke on a GM front wheel drive car shift cable. Does anyone know if this repair can be done much cheaper without getting a whole new cable?

Hello

Thanks, I will check there, but I know people here are very mechanical and know how to improvise.

It is just so frustrating that all the mechanics of the original cable work fine but there is a small plastic neck that joins the heavy metal cable end rod to the metal bolt that goes thru the metal shift lever. That small plastic neck just snapped by becoming brittle from all the engine heat, weather and age! NOT a good design! ! !

If an all metal connector like this one in the picture can be connected to the tip of the metal cable and then put under the bolt head that goes thru the transmission lever, it would not only be a cheap fix but stronger than the original piece! See 2nd pic below.

Here is a better pic on where it snapped and how it pulls the lever up and down on the front of the transmission.

Attachments

• toyota_1999_snappedShiftCableYA.jpg
    toyota_1999_snappedShiftCableYA.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 655
  • RoundSpadeLug.jpg
    RoundSpadeLug.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 304
Status
Not open for further replies.