1st Auger Jam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

muss

Feeling the Heat
Feb 26, 2008
Embden, Maine
tds
Got my 1st auger jam last nite :shut: Went in there with a wooden dowel & also ued my fingers to poke around the auger. Then she started . I hope it's not because of the Athens Pellets cause i got 5 tons . Bad enuff dealing with all the ash buildup & having to use a higher setting . Muss

Oh no, not the Athens....

Evidently there's some ok and some bad batches of these. I had 3 tons and returned them and got Lignetics. The Maine Woods clogged up auger 2x and 2nd time took me a few hours to unclog the caked-up jam.

Lignetics blocked the chute once but was just bottle necked right at the gate flapper, took 2 seconds.

Good luck with the Athens.

I have heard of this several times with the Athens pellets. I have an insert and am dreading this happening. It will be a lot of work to fix it. My pellets also burn dirty. So much ash.

Is there anything that can be done to lessen the chance of getting "jammed up". Would screeningl the pellets help? I'm new at this and I have one ton of the Athens in the garage. I plan on mixing them with some Hamers and Energex. I've already told my dealer he's getting them back if they give me any trouble. What kind of pellets did you burn last year Muss? :coolsmirk:

yes, screening or running them thru the pellet vacuum like shortstuff demonstrates would help to reduce the possibility of a jam. Do a search for pellet vac on the forum.

I have been using a vac on my athens pellets and it does help me find the oversize pellets which I just break and half. I like t think this cleaning is helping keep the mess under control in the stove but who knows.

I also screen the pellets when I burn them. I have had one auger jam with my first bag of pellets. I have screened them ever since and have had no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.