King 5502M Won't Run After Auger Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Timelord83

Nov 17, 2019
Vermont
I've had the stove for 3 years now and every year I've had to replace the room blower without fail. This year on my pre-season inspection I noticed damage to the auger collar where it looked like it was jammed and the motor forced it thru tearing out a bit of the material. I buttoned her up cleaned everything pulled all the exhaust pipe and ran the brush thru it all and ordered a new auger motor and auger. 1 week into burn stove shut off full of pellets err2 checked the burn pot sure enough empty looked up inside and pellets in the auger but no auger movement.. replaced the auger motor as it was cold and just needed the stove back.. new auger motor installed and no joy auger motor will not spin unless in test mode or powered directly (both new and old) So I found these forums and the owners manual and disabled the vacuum switch the hopper switch and any other safety on the machine to just see if it will work and it will not. the auger delay light flashes and it will not spin the auger.. I ended up calling a tech he said its a bad control board.. Ordered 2 off eBay with the description at least one works.. boards came in as the 80558 instead of 80778 they have the same issue called USSC they assure me the 80558 boards will not work (eBay seller assures me the 80778 is discontinued and the 80558 is the direct replacement) and it sounds like I have a bad 80778 board which they will happily sell me for $529 plus shipping and tax.. I am at a loss here and am very capable and hopefully someone knows more than me can help me confirm before I buy ANOTHER board that won't fix the issue... I am getting distraught as my electric meter is currently running the Boston marathon at a world record pace with my electric heat on.

To summarize.. The machine powers up and the auger delay light flashes and never shuts off, you can hit on and it will not cancel it.. the button is not stuck and if manually fill the burn pot it will start a fire and get to temp and turn on the blower fan but never spin the auger up to deliver more pellets so the fire dies.

defiantly sounds like a bad board when the auger jammed up it probably overloaded that circuit on the board and cooked it. Personally i would have never purchased anything off ebay that stated "at least one works" as the seller was just selling his junk. Go and buy a OEM board from the manufacturer or a good parts supply place for pellet stoves. I went though a bad board situation last year and the money and time your wasting trying to safe a few $$ is adding up on your hydro bill.. If you would have just ordered new you would have been up and running and saving money.. Last year for me was a bad year i replaced every sensor, blower, and finally control board. But with the money i saved over the years im still ahead..

defiantly sounds like a bad board when the auger jammed up it probably overloaded that circuit on the board and cooked it. Personally i would have never purchased anything off ebay that stated "at least one works" as the seller was just selling his junk. Go and buy a OEM board from the manufacturer or a good parts supply place for pellet stoves. I went though a bad board situation last year and the money and time your wasting trying to safe a few $$ is adding up on your hydro bill.. If you would have just ordered new you would have been up and running and saving money.. Last year for me was a bad year i replaced every sensor, blower, and finally control board. But with the money i saved over the years im still ahead..
Even tho the auger will spin during the testing procedure?