1st Cleaning using Lint Eater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My vent comes off the furnace with a 45 degree adapter to a clean out "T" with the "T" being horizontal with the end cap facing me so it can be removed. Then off the "T" a 45 degree 3 foot up slope. Then a 45 degree to a straight horizontal between the floor joists to the outside "T" where it goes vertical 7 feet. Will the lint eater extension rods make it through the two 45's that are after the inside clean out "T" OK? I've read that the rods are pretty flexible and if you need some force to get through a tight spot, the rods flex too much and don't push through. The total length of the inside vent is just about 12 feet in length to where it meets the outside "T". Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.

i bought one from lowes off the shelf 2 years ago for 28 bucks, and i flat LOVE it, takes me all of like 3 minutes to clean my vent pipe, with the ease of use its not such a bother so i dont find myself "putting it off" like i did when i had to pull the pipes to clean them. great product, i recommend them all the time to customers (even though i dont sell them)

stoveguy2esw said:
i bought one from lowes off the shelf 2 years ago for 28 bucks, and i flat LOVE it, takes me all of like 3 minutes to clean my vent pipe, with the ease of use its not such a bother so i dont find myself "putting it off" like i did when i had to pull the pipes to clean them. great product, i recommend them all the time to customers (even though i dont sell them)
I understand that they work well, but my concern is the frail rods getting around the bends in my venting. I've read that wwhen they get to a bend, you can't put force on them to push them through because the rods just flex.

Ejectr said:
stoveguy2esw said:
I understand that they work well, but my concern is the frail rods getting around the bends in my venting. I've read that wwhen they get to a bend, you can't put force on them to push them through because the rods just flex.

Went through my 90 deg elbow with ease. I didn't have to force it at all. The brush was described as having a self feeding design. Worked great for me. Gonna prob do it again this weekend.

actually they do quite well, they are stronger than they look. i have no problem at all with pushing past 90 degree turns with them and as the drill is spining the brush it almost helps move them around the corner and down the pipe. its actually quite easy when hooked to a drill

stoveguy2esw said:
actually they do quite well, they are stronger than they look. i have no problem at all with pushing past 90 degree turns with them and as the drill is spining the brush it almost helps move them around the corner and down the pipe. its actually quite easy when hooked to a drill
If it self feeds in...does the brush come out as easy as it went in with the drill running or do you just back it out with the drill stopped? Also, have you used the shop vac adapter and does that work any good? I figured I'd use it to blow out instead of suck in.

Ejectr said:
stoveguy2esw said:
If it self feeds in...does the brush come out as easy as it went in with the drill running or do you just back it out with the drill stopped? Also, have you used the shop vac adapter and does that work any good? I figured I'd use it to blow out instead of suck in.

It came back out easily for me. I just left the drill going in forward and pulled out slowly. Don't use reverse with these types of rods. I used the shop vac adapter and it seemed to work nicely. I have a 16gallon 5 hp rigid shop vac.

mepellet said:
Ejectr said:
stoveguy2esw said:

It came back out easily for me. I just left the drill going in forward and pulled out slowly. Don't use reverse with these types of rods. I used the shop vac adapter and it seemed to work nicely. I have a 16gallon 5 hp rigid shop vac.
Thanks for your responses. I believe I will try it.

Ejectr said:
mepellet said:
Ejectr said:
stoveguy2esw said:

Thanks for your responses. I believe I will try it.
It worked great for my dryer vent also. And the kit comes with a bit that you can use to unclog gutters. Couple other things ignition remember correctly too. I think it was well worth my money.

One more question...I understand the hub of the brush is plastic with plastic threads. Any problems with stripping those threads out?

Ejectr said:
One more question...I understand the hub of the brush is plastic with plastic threads. Any problems with stripping those threads out?

No, the rod ends and the threads in the brush are steel.

Cleaned the vent to my pellet furnace using a Lint Eater for the first time. First thing that annoyed me was the adapter for the shop vac wouldn't fit the hole my "T" clean out cap came out of. It was too small for the OD and too big for the ID, so I just laid the hose in the pipe. Seemed to do a good job but I couldn't really tell. I was expecting large amounts of crap to come out and all I got was a small amount of extremely fine gray powder. Like baby powder. But...it was easy enough.

The chuck on my drill was just large enough to hold the end...but not by much! Some day I'm going to try the leaf blower trick, but with what I saw come out of the vent today, I think I'd be disappointed.

Just remember.....do NOT put the drill on 'reverse' when you go to remove the rods/brush from the pipe....they may unscrew and leave the brush up inside the pipe. Some people even duct tape the connectors to make sure.

They separate very quickly, as I learned last night.

I just bought one Sunday at the local hardware store. Paid to much but at least I have it. Mine was the kit with the vac attachment.

Status
Not open for further replies.