2 cord of locust

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NateB

Feeling the Heat
Mar 5, 2013
South Central Pennsylvania
I found 2 cord of mostly locust that has been in a concrete block building with open windows for 3 to 5 years, but I see some bug damage. Is this something I should worry about putting near my house, or are the bugs long gone?

Last edited:
I found 2 cord of mostly locust that has been in a concrete block building with open windows for 3 to 5 years, but I see some bug damage. Is this something I should worry about putting near my house, or are the bugs long gone?

tzW8vLuMig1V85Ry7
Here are the pics
28ba8ae6fa6fa0c5d69c267de780e4c5.jpg
ee10f595945a2d79000b464ef88c1c51.jpg
0c128bbcfaf497e33bdf59134a5c8e13.jpg
9ebe0eeca6e399620a215cf872b1d111.jpg
c6ab26afd2f37d5e6246decae798d707.jpg
a44430d878f5179aa306f27c7c96b762.jpg

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Very dangerous nate, let me know where it is and I'll dispose of it, I'm licensed for this sort of thing. All kidding aside if take it, I didn't think bugs bothered locusts but something got in there.

Locust is one of the most durable. bug and rot free wood there is. Not likely the wood is infested, have no fear and burn away.

You found gold!

I would be all over that!

IMG_3247.JPG
Picked this up yesterday. The trailer load is all locust (presplit) Oh and it was for free and dried for a year, the load in the bed of the truck is just boring dry oak

Lucky!!

When I get big I am going to get a trailer. Now I am just hauling it home in the ranger.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Having a big truck with a trailer helps / hurts, it helps because you can get more volume, it hurts because by the time you get home and unload, your done and don't wanna do anything with wood for awhile, a ranger keeps a good pace because you can cut, load, split and stack, yes it's a little slower but it adds up quickly, nothing wrong with using a smaller truck in my book, plus there easier to park along the side of the road or fit in tighter areas

Reactions: NateB
I get this stuff all the time, my woods are filled with it, centers are usually always rotten out and buggy not sure what they are so I can't say don't worry just be sure to burn this first.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

View attachment 197352
Picked this up yesterday. The trailer load is all locust (presplit) Oh and it was for free and dried for a year, the load in the bed of the truck is just boring dry oak

You find a lot of BL around here? There is one big one down the street but I think it's the only one I've seen in NY or CT. It seems to be the last tree to get its leaves (just sprouting) so I was wondering if they do well up here. On the other hand, the Norway maples seemed to get full leaves by the beginning of April.

Nate B, I just picked up 1/2 cord of Norway maple about a month ago. The inner 2" were filled with wood ants on a few rounds. Just knocked the ants out of the logs while splitting them, threw away the cottage cheese pieces, and after a week of drying they were long gone.

You find a lot of BL around here? There is one big one down the street but I think it's the only one I've seen in NY or CT. It seems to be the last tree to get its leaves (just sprouting) so I was wondering if they do well up here. On the other hand, the Norway maples seemed to get full leaves by the beginning of April.
I don't find BL in my area at all, this was just a freak incident, I would be interested in planting some BL in my side yard (since I thinned the woods out) from what I understand, these tree's grow pretty fast and its like bamboo, (1) tree will yield 10 tree's once the root system gets established, they also like loose, moist soil and this section of property is perfect for that.

I don't find BL in my area at all, this was just a freak incident, I would be interested in planting some BL in my side yard (since I thinned the woods out) from what I understand, these tree's grow pretty fast and its like bamboo, (1) tree will yield 10 tree's once the root system gets established, they also like loose, moist soil and this section of property is perfect for that.

Do you want seeds or saplings? and how many. They grow everywhere around here. I had one try to kill me the other year in an ice storm. They get about a foot in diameter and die or blow over.

Best wood there is glad you got it all.

There is a lot of black locust around here too. It's not unusual for carpenter ants to get in it but like any insect, they want moisture too. Drying it properly for burning sends them packing! I don't think many people know what black locust is. It's pretty easy to scrounge and can be down on the ground for years and still be great firewood.

IMG_3309.JPG
Took a half piece of BL, resplit it and tested the fresh split face, sitting at 19% with another 6-7 months of drying in my covered shed, this stuff might burn hotter than coal lol, can wait to dig into it come next January / February

Best wood there is glad you got it all.
Thanks - did you make it out to PA last week? I got called Monday night and worked till Saturday up in Towanda

Those beetles look gone. Most insects don't bother locust much. Little spring worms under the bark usually.
Great find, probably close to being seasoned