2 Questions: Basement storage, Tree length time till it rots

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All readings would need to be taken from the center of a freshly split piece. I would like to know the starting MC, type of wood, and a couple samples from different areas of your stack. Then maybe some different time interavels (monthly maybe?)

I'll be interested to see your results. I'm in no way denying that wood can dry using this method. I'm just leary of how quickly it will actually get down to the sub-20% that most stoves are looking for. Also, it would be interesting to calculate how much you end up spending on electricity to get your wood to this usable level. I'm lucky in the fact that I can be a year or two ahead on my wood and can leave it out in the wind and sun and don't have to pay a penny to dry it. But I do understand that not everyone has the room available that I do.

With 4 women in the house, I don't know why you wouldn't want to be outside getting ahead on your firewood! ;-P

ikessky said:
All readings would need to be taken from the center of a freshly split piece. I would like to know the starting MC, type of wood, and a couple samples from different areas of your stack. Then maybe some different time interavels (monthly maybe?)

I'll be interested to see your results. I'm in no way denying that wood can dry using this method. I'm just leary of how quickly it will actually get down to the sub-20% that most stoves are looking for. Also, it would be interesting to calculate how much you end up spending on electricity to get your wood to this usable level. I'm lucky in the fact that I can be a year or two ahead on my wood and can leave it out in the wind and sun and don't have to pay a penny to dry it. But I do understand that not everyone has the room available that I do.

With 4 women in the house, I don't know why you wouldn't want to be outside getting ahead on your firewood! ;-P

Yes, C/S/Sing firewood is one of my few nice breaks from all the estrogen in the house :exclaim:
I think the items you mention would cover it. Which MC indicator should I get? Haven't done much research, would like to get the most bang for my buck though...

Don't worry about the bugs, the spiders will eat em all, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.