2 questions pipe sizing and pressured heat tank storeage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nic89

Feb 8, 2009
Mo
Is there a chart or info about moving BTU's and pipe size?

To move the btu's does a variable speed pump - say pump to storage tank from boiler is variable....say it speeds up with increase in heat ....would that make a real difference in heat transfer...enough to cover cost?

If I set up a used propane tank for pressure storage from boiler whats a good way to install the copper loops for the house heat inside the tank?

I know pump sizing matters - I know pipe size matters - but how?

Thanks for helping

This link leads to a pipe and pressure drop sizer, free download.

www.bellgossett.com/BG-SystemSyzer.asp

Some pumps or controllers will vary the pump speed based on delta T. As the temperature increases in the boiler the pump speeds up allowing more GPM to flow and moving more energy. The concept is the same as the variable speed blower or inducers on wood boilers.

The same variable speed control can offer boiler return protection, by watching the temperature at the return connection of the boiler it adjusts the pump speed accordingly. No ned to use a 3 way thermostatic valve to protect the boiler. So a few features in one control.

It will save some energy cost, depending on your KWH cost it may pay off. It also depends on what you pay for the components of course..

It does limit the on off cycling of a pump, if the pump is currently controlled by a on/ off control. which should extend the pumps life.

There are some small circ pumps available with this delta t function built in. tekmar and others make a separate control to use on your exisiting pump.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.