2005 OR 2007 MT VERNON

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome, no need to SHOUT :).

The Mt. Vernon pellet stove went through a complete revision. The 2005 unit is a good strong heater, but more conventional in it's blower motors, electronics and design. The new Mt. Vernon is a modern stove, with dc variable speed motors, computerized electronics, very efficient baffling and heat recovery. The new stove is much quieter, more efficient and automatic than the older design.

Thank you, for the info. I just wanted to know because i found a 2005 unit for $2000 and it comes with the pipeing. Or maybe i should purchase a new one because the technolongies that much better. Again thanks.

It depends. The older Mt. Vernon's blower was pretty noisy on High. But if your home is not too large, then you may only need to run it on High when it's really cold outside. If the stove is not in the livingroom, then maybe this is a moot point. Just be sure if buying used that the stove was well cared for. If it's only 2 yrs old it should still look and perform like new.

When the new dc voltage versions of the stove were first introduced out of the starting gate there were problems so many dealers were returning the unsold units and selling the past models

One problem was the firmware required updating Most dealers did not have the program or the serial cable to connect to the stove to even preform the update. you stove could be one of the earlier first run models

Another consideration is dealer support. One better figure this out before plopping down 2k pellet stoves have a lot of mechanical and electrionc parts that could require replacements. The only way to get parts is threw a dealer and it is possible that the dealer has the computer diagonistic programs to isolate problems. IT's not like one can go to Walmart and pick up parts .

This is not saying the used stove is not a good deal but at 2k I would want to know all is well before venturing into the purchase. You need to do research, possibly have a dealer hook up his computer to the stove to check it out

Actually, with the exception of the control board, parts for the older units are pretty much off the shelf parts. Many can be purchased directly through Graingers. That was my motivation for buying the Quad 1200i. I haven't torn apart a new Mt. Vernon, but I am curious about how many proprietary parts are used. They might be using modern dc parts from high efficiency forced air systems. jtp10180 have you looked into this?

We only buy OEM parts from Quad unless they advise us otherwise... I have ripped a Mt Vernon Insert AE down to its bare guts, which was very not fun. Replaced the combustion blower. Wasn't really checking to see if I could buy the motors at Grainger ;).

Also would like to point out BG made good points. The new AE is VERY quiet and MUCH easier to clean. The older one I had a very hard time removing and reinstalling the baffles, and noticed it was quite noisy on the "QUAD" (highest) setting (it was 3 years old only).

Yep, not everyone is going to try to fix a stove with off the shelf parts. But that is what inspired me about the older Quads. Once I saw the exhaust blower motor, vacuum switch, snap switches, were the same as common furnace parts I was sold. I like that they used tried and tested components.

Status
Not open for further replies.