2006 Lopi Pioneer Bay VS. 99 Whitfield Quest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BucksWhit

Nov 25, 2015
Plainville ma
Hello All,

I have the opportunity to switch from a 1999 Whitfield Quest to a 2006 Lopi Pioneer bay.

The main reasons for the switch will be the thermostat option and the auto start. My Whitfield has been a workhorse but the added convenience of autostart seems worth it to me. Also I would wire a thermostat in for another "feature".

We are mainly night burners so we start it when we get home and shut it off before bed. Sit in the TV room with shorts and a T-Shirt. Having the thermostat/autostart could be cool as I would program it to fire up just before we get home.

The switch will cost me 350$ all in. Is it worth it? Am I making a mistake? The Whitfield has been bulletproof.

My opinion,as you are part time burners,no.Unless it is free.And keep whit for when lopi breaks.But others will comment.

I was thinking a bit along the lines of Bob ... keep the Whit on stand-by for a while. I have heard a few stories of trading out stoves only to have issues even with brand new stoves.

Only you can determine if the switch is worth it ... $350 isn't very costly. Uninstall and reinstall is a bit of a pain. Do you know the previous owners of the Lopi or is it stove shop rehabbed?

Thanks for the feedback. I am tempted to hold off. The whit just runs so darn good. Come to find the wife actually likes the manual light which I found odd. She says it makes her feel like she is building a fire like an old style fire place in a small way.

The Lopi is a craigslist deal. Check it out. Let me know what you think.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/for/5837514094.html

Status
Not open for further replies.