2006 Tacoma, Alternator and Battery meet 12v / 120v 2000w DC to AC Inverter

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
A few months back, I bought a Beltt 2000w ac/dc Inverter. My thinking was that I only have a generator to recharge my power station and the power output is pretty sloppy. It runs most everything that I need but I hesitate to use it to charge up my power stations.

After the first of the year or so, I plan to buy 2 inverter generators (budgets). The ones I want run in the $725 - $800 range and are 4000w/3300w. In the interim my goal was to install the Beltt inverter into my Tacoma. The Tacoma has the 4.0L engine with the towing package which includes an 130a alternator. I want to mount the inverter behind the drivers side back seat. The seat folds down and there is plenty of room to mount it there. I have the tools and supplies needed to get the wires from the battery to the inverter.

The inverters task will be to supply 120v, 20a to charge our power stations in case of an extended power outage. The inverter would run about 2 hours

What I can't seem to get figured out, is what size fuse/ breaker to get, and what gauge wire I should use. The inverter comes with 3 feet of 6 gauge wire (even tho the description indicates 4 gauge), but then they tell you not to get the inverter wet. 3 feet in any direction from my battery is going to be wet in wet weather.

The battery is located in the drivers side front of the engine compartment. The wire will run down from the battery and along the driver side under carriage and then up and in between the cab and bed into the truck and a foot or so higher to where the inverter will be mounted.

My thoughts were to be a 20' jumper cable and cutoff the ends and crimp on lugs to the battery and the inverter. 20 feet will give me a little wiggle room in case I mess up a lug or two. It will then be trimmed to fit.

The inverter also needs a ground wire attached. I have 10 gauge PV ground wire I can use for that as well as lugs and self tapers.

So to clarify; what gauge wire for roughly 15 feet and what size breaker? I've seen recommendations anywhere from 4/0 to 4 gauge.
 
A few months back, I bought a Beltt 2000w ac/dc Inverter. My thinking was that I only have a generator to recharge my power station and the power output is pretty sloppy. It runs most everything that I need but I hesitate to use it to charge up my power stations.

After the first of the year or so, I plan to buy 2 inverter generators (budgets). The ones I want run in the $725 - $800 range and are 4000w/3300w. In the interim my goal was to install the Beltt inverter into my Tacoma. The Tacoma has the 4.0L engine with the towing package which includes an 130a alternator. I want to mount the inverter behind the drivers side back seat. The seat folds down and there is plenty of room to mount it there. I have the tools and supplies needed to get the wires from the battery to the inverter.

The inverters task will be to supply 120v, 20a to charge our power stations in case of an extended power outage. The inverter would run about 2 hours

What I can't seem to get figured out, is what size fuse/ breaker to get, and what gauge wire I should use. The inverter comes with 3 feet of 6 gauge wire (even tho the description indicates 4 gauge), but then they tell you not to get the inverter wet. 3 feet in any direction from my battery is going to be wet in wet weather.

The battery is located in the drivers side front of the engine compartment. The wire will run down from the battery and along the driver side under carriage and then up and in between the cab and bed into the truck and a foot or so higher to where the inverter will be mounted.

My thoughts were to be a 20' jumper cable and cutoff the ends and crimp on lugs to the battery and the inverter. 20 feet will give me a little wiggle room in case I mess up a lug or two. It will then be trimmed to fit.

The inverter also needs a ground wire attached. I have 10 gauge PV ground wire I can use for that as well as lugs and self tapers.

So to clarify; what gauge wire for roughly 15 feet and what size breaker? I've seen recommendations anywhere from 4/0 to 4 gauge.
You will need 2/0 copper. I'd use a fuse on the DC+ at the battery. You can use plugs/sockets they make for high current. Search connectors for 2/0. They can be used to disconnect the line when not needed. I bought a DC/DC converter myself, and have it on standby with a long cable. I have the 2000W inverter on my pellet stove with an AC/DC 35A charger.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991
Ok on the 2/0 that's about what I figured. I saw an anderson connector that I like and I will incorporate. What amperage terminal fuse, you think?
The manual says the DC input calls for 194.6 amps. Unless I'm missing something 200a battery top fuse should work?
 
Ok on the 2/0 that's about what I figured. I saw an anderson connector that I like and I will incorporate. What amperage terminal fuse, you think?
The manual says the DC input calls for 194.6 amps. Unless I'm missing something 200a battery top fuse should work?
That should be fine. Yes, anderson is the type. I bought a kit that allows you to make your own. Crimp and/or solder the contacts.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Burnin Since 1991