2007 quad mt vernon common issues?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pipeliner542

Nov 16, 2022
Greenfield,Indiana
I am looking at a 2007 mt vernon non ae model stove. I am new to pellet stoves but have been lurking here for a while. I want to use it for a aux heat source. It is obviously used but looks to be well taken care of. I searched all the common problems and most seem to be the newer AE models. I was considering buying something new but really didn't want to to be over 2800-3000 dollars. This one has.the porcelain coating and is nearly chip free. Owner was using it up to a month ago until.he replaced it with a harmon. With the current tax.credit still avail it would offset a new purchase. I was wondering if a stove in my price range would be as good and reliable as that one used. He is asking 2200.00 for it and that is with pellets and some extras. My biggest concern is the age of the unit and lack of info I could find on it. (Might be a.good thing) Thanks in advance for any help with my decision.

At that price, it would have to be perfect
A 16-year-old stove around here 4 to 7 hundred
and needs no work. Only Harman demands more money and they don't sell fast

Those are my feelings as well. With that being said are there any known problems with the older models to be concerned with. Looking at the manuals it's a pretty simple system. Very few electronics and basic parts. Easy to troubleshoot. I been shopping new and this time of year everything is selling for retail and the higher btu stoves are 5200.00 and up before tax. And of course the wife likes the porcelain Finnish which just adds way more to any price. I was looking at the Harman absolute 63 for 5300.00.

Price seems steep to me especially here in the midwest. If it was so good then I wonder why he replaced it? $1200.00 would probably be more in the price range.

He replaced it with 2 smaller units.
Price seems steep to me especially here in the midwest. If it was so good then I wonder why he replaced it? $1200.00 would probably be more in the price range.
He installed 2 smaller units after remodeling. I agree on the price. I looked at a refurbished harmon p61 for 3000 before tax. The ones for sale lately all seem overpriced. Garage use units in the 47,000-50'000 btu range that are rusted in and out but Work are s elling for 700-1000 dollars around here. New Quad,harmon and lopi units over 50,000 btu are all over 5300.00 locally. My budget really needs to stay under 2500.00 that doesn't buy much from a high quality american manufacturer, higher BTU's and new. So I was looking for as much stove as I could get for the money.
I was wondering if anyone had experience with the pre 2007 mt vernon stoves. If the newer units with all the electronic controls are much better and more reliable than the oe version that is the direction I would go. The only reason I am even looking at pellet stoves is because the location in the house already has a masonry fireplace area that already has a horizontal vent installed from the previous owner. The chimney wasn't structurally sound and they knocked the upper portion down. If it was standing I would have installed a wood stove

Reactions: rickwai
That price is insane. Those go for around $500 - 800 around here. It probably didn’t cost what he is ask for when it was new.

I ran one for a few years. In auto mode mine was prone to miss starts. The pot has to be cleaned daily. Small ash pan.
Run the heat exchanger rods up and down and make sure there is no resistance. The tubes could warp if over fired and the rods won’t run up all the way. I had to replace the vacuum sensor a few times.
It did throw a lot of heat but it was a lot of work. Burns corn ok too. Even dog food. Lol. Ran a few bags through mine once for s&g’s.

Personally I think there are way easier stoves to run out there. Enviro, Harman, even my old Cumberland 3650 was easier and more reliable.

Reactions: johneh and Mt Bob
I have two of these. Bought one for $400 that was immaculate and hardly used, another for $200, both off CL.

These are simple but old stoves. I wouldn't pay over $600 personally.

I would highly recommend going with 4" exhaust. The outside air hookup leaks and you will need to fab something. The gaskets for the fire pot break down due to being levered on by the ash dump lever. They are a bit of a pita to clean internally around the heat exchanger and also exhaust fan. It's also a pain how they get Ash Oliver the firebox and you have to vacuum it out pretty much after every bag. The blower motors also go out and start to get noisy which is a $200 fix.

These units are loud. But they do work and are very easy to work on.

I'm curious if the Harman is quieter. Less tinkling pellets and fan noise. Less cleaning as it all falls forward?

My Accentra is much more quiet then the quad was.

The fan is quieter and it push’s the pellets into the pot as opposed to dropping them.

Reactions: Mt Bob