2007 Quadrafire castile insert flame height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mlathrop98

Oct 17, 2019
Eastford ct
Haven't use the stove in a few yrs and only a year before that. Everyone says flame should be 3 or 4 inches above pot. I've tryed two brands of pellets Green supreme and Blackstone pellets. The Blackstone's seems burn hotter and taller but neither brand seems to make a flame go above the pot rim. It burns like a torch in the bottom to just under rim n just cupping the rim. All on the high setting I have the clear control box. I've played with the feed ..gotta keep it full open ..tryed blocking air in some n pellet rate on with both brands. running between 5 6 or 7 on control 7 producing best results. Have a 20ft 4in chimney that I cleaned at season beginning along with replacing door and exhaust gasket and a deep clean. What am I missing

Attachments

• 20191017_190637.jpg
    20191017_190637.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20191010_111853.jpg
    20191010_111853.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 60
Does it seem that all of the pellets are burning or is it building up pellets over time? If all of the pellets are burning, you may have something up with your auger. Did you check to see if anything is blocking the auger opening or stuck in the auger? Over the years, people here have found numerous items in the bags of pellets.

Reactions: kappel15
Its burning all of them..I took auger out at season begin to check gasket. On control box 7 it drops pellets every few seconds 1 to 3 then 2 or so then 5 or 6 a few times back n forth so seems to be working ok.

How long are the pellets? Do they seem longer than normal?

Are you sure entire exhaust path is clear? Thru stove too? Are all pot holes clean? Esp the 8 small ones 4 in pot floor and 4 in front of pot wall. Auger may be getting weak. kap

I'll double check chimney tomorrow but between brushing n lbt it seemed clear. Inside the stove is clean as can be. I used a old pistol bore brush to clear them before starting season. I checked the auger today buy putting stove in test jumping the snap disc n vac switch..I couldn't stop it.

If things are clean, you are not getting enough fuel for some reason, or fuel isn't as good as it should be. kap

How much of a gap do you have between the bottom of your burn pot and the bottom plate. You should have a dime thickness or less. Maybe it's getting too much air through the bottom gap rather than the burn pot holes.

Reactions: kappel15
There isn’t supposed to be a gasket on the ash pan. Quads aren’t the tightest stoves. Is it heating alright? How many pellets are you burning, at what temp are you running it, and at what outside temp. 20’ of 4” vertical can cut your flame down a tad but I wouldn’t think it’d be that short, unless there was an issue with pellet size or auger. I did once run a Harman P68 straight up 50’ with 4” and had to turn the draft down because it was drafting like a rocket. Unfortunately, yours doesn’t have an option for that.

Its heating but the air doesn't strike me as burn worthy. I'm running on the High setting. Outside is between 39 n 50 n damp recently. There dosent appear to be any gap on the bottom of pot.