2010 wood season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R.J. Frost builder

Oct 25, 2009
central NH
hello all. im new here and thought i would share some pics of this years wood gathering.

im usually dealing with 90% oak on my property but my old man is opening up some fields that have grown up over the last 30 years and im getting some of the wood were cutting. its a nice variety of maple, ash, cherry, black birch, and some other stuff. its mosty stuff that wont need to be split which is nice. its a change from the mature stuff i usually cut.
right now ive got about 8 hrs of saw time in and the rest into moving the wood around to get it up to my place. i figure my redneck log truck carries a cord give or take. ive got 3 trailer loads ready to buck up as i make room in the shed.
i usually burn around 6-7 cord a year, which is about what the main part of the woodshed holds.

Saw of choice is a husky 350 for most of the small stuff and a jonsered 2171 for the big stuff.

Attachments

• fw1.jpg
    fw1.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 640
  • fw2.jpg
    fw2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 634
  • fw3.jpg
    fw3.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 663
NICE! Looks like some tall piles you have stacked up there. With our new stove I've grown to appreciate smaller limb type wood. Nice and easy to work with and well worth the effort in the newer EPA stoves. Looks you you have a nice operation going on there R.J. I take it there's not a bio mass plant within a hundred miles of you...good.

For that, the best thing is a buzz saw. You could make very short work of that pile with a buzz saw and another man or two.

Sawbuck works well too.

my old man has recommended the buzz saw route as well, but i can just buck right off that pile and put it in the shed. i try not to handle the wood any more than i have to, but im trying to get ahead of the game and that means stacking outside of the shed and waiting for room in the shed before splitting.

I put the small stuff on the bottom and bigger stuff on top to hold it from moving.

LLigetfa said:
I put the small stuff on the bottom and bigger stuff on top to hold it from moving.
I can afford that !
I usually buck the larger stuff in the woods and stuff the "poles" in the cart to be cut later on the sawbuck. I think I'll ask Santa for a
Smart-holder (and maybe a Dolmar 7900 in case he thinks I've been extra good this year. :cheese:).

Trees I fell in the woods get bucked on the ground right where they fall. Grapple wood that I buy is in 8 foot lengths and I buck anything 6 inch or smaller diameter in the sawbuck.

100_0321.jpg

Your sawbuck has a deeper angle than mine. I guess that's my problem. Mine is @ 90 deg.
I'll have to move the horiz. boards up to limit how far it opens and maybe cut some teeth to try to keep the poles from spinning.
Thanks.

Brian VT said:
The Smart-holder looks like the ticket but I'm too cheap (broke).

Put it on your list for the next round of stimulus checks. :)

The last one bought me my splitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.