2012 first fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

b33p3r

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2008
NE Pa
Fired up the EB-150 this morning as a request from the Mrs. Nights have been getting cool and since oil fired burner wasn't an option for heat in September I lit it up. From the light of the match at 60* to 185* it took 70 minutes until it was up to temp and shutting the fan down. Fellow EB users...how does that sound?

Are you talking an Econoburn when you say EB-150? If so, that amount of time seems a bit long to me. That unit only holds 37 gallons of water. This translates roughly into a total output of just over 40,000 btu's in over an hour. What's the rest of your system look like? If you have a fair amount of water in other places and the 70 minutes includes total system heating than perhaps this amount of time is not unusual.

Yes an Econoburn. At 155* it starts circulating to the house. 75' to the house, through the oil boiler and back 75' to the shed. Oil boiler had no demand on it the entire time. I said water was at 60* when I lit the match, but that's what display showed. I have an analog gauge, digital gauge and the setting on the aquastat and all 3 put out different temperatures. From high to low it is a 20* difference. So The starting water temp could have been lower. Aquastat shuts it down at 185*. Again how accurate the temp settings are?
I didn't think it was too bad of time but then again I really don't know. That's why I posted. Would like comparisons so I know whether I have my system setup and running well enough. I think I'm putting a little too much heat up the flue. I originally borrrowed a manometer (2 years ago) and set the draft but I think it's time to calibrate it again.
Thanks for the reply. Always welcome opinions. Thanks.

My Econoburn stack temps run higher than I would like. I have barometric damper, manometer permanently installed.

I monitor fuel temps with a thermocouple and digital display. Brand new boiler clean tubes I have seen flue temps over 500 that is with damper letting in cool air. That is however loaded full and at peak burn.

gg

gg, you run storage so I can't get a feel from you on how mine is performing. No storage YET. I don't have a problem with mine at all. Just looking for a baseline to judge it. This forum has a way of sucking you in to trying to squeeze BTUs out of every split. Thanks guys! No really..Thanks, I appreciate it. I c/s/s/ a 7 cord load of logs I bought this SUMMER and I find myself trying to burn less and less so I never have to sweat like that again. Trust me I'll be busy from now until spring scrounging so I can avoid the summer heat. Still might try to get another truckload of logs delivered before winter just to get 2 years ahead by spring. My goal is 3 years but I know my limits. Recently had a friend with a 100+ acres offer me access to anything on the ground. So now a trailer is being put in my budget(whether I can afford it or not).
While my boiler was getting up to temp yesterday I tried to put my hand on the vertical stack 1' out of boiler. It was a little too hot. Last year I remember being able to keep my hand on it for 2-3 seconds before I pulled away. Have a manometer on the way so I can check my draft again. It's all about knowing my boiler.
Thanks in advance, B33p3r

I also have to admit that I understand the concept of draft control but I am not 100% confident in reading the manometer's gauges. EB says a negative draft of .02-.05 if I remember correctly. If those numbers are wrong don't jump on me. It was totally from memory. Anyone that knows me knows I have no memory.

I also have to admit that I understand the concept of draft control but I am not 100% confident in reading the manometer's gauges. EB says a negative draft of .02-.05 if I remember correctly. If those numbers are wrong don't jump on me. It was totally from memory. Anyone that knows me knows I have no memory.

That is correct, It is surprising how much it will fluctuate depending on wind. The barometric damper flap moves quit a bit on the windy days.

You would not want to put your hand on the flue of mine during peak burn. I think the Econoburn could use a few more flue tubes to help transfer heat. Mine has 6, I think the Tarm 60 has double that.

gg

I'm not sure what stack your mentioning - but I challenge anyone to hold onto anything that is more than 150° or so for 2-3 seconds. Which is a little cool for a hot water pipe out the top of a boiler and a lot cool for a smoke stack.

gg, are those 6 fire tubes turbolated?

TS

Wow, that temp does seem high then. I know that some did not have the turbulators and guys used suspended chains in the tubes to move things around and stop the laminar flow.

TS

Made it to last night before needing a fire. Happy to say no surprises. Burned well and ( after some new batteries in the thermostats ) we have a warm house.

Status
Not open for further replies.