2018 garden thread!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our beds are 4 ft wide. Drip lines or drip tape is much more effective depending on the bed size and length. For our 14' x 4' raised beds I use two loops of driplines per bed. No top spraying emitters used.

dobish that zucchini plant will be dead soon. that black spot on the picture that in the middle bottom on a leader is a hole eaten by white moths they lay a egg in there and the larvae eats the plant from the inside out. soak the plant down with some insecticidal soap heavy. that same moth killed my zucchini pumpkin and watermelon. that leader will turn yellow and it goes from there

We are finally getting a steady supply of tomatoes. Unfortunately our watermelon looks pathetic with little growth since being planted from a start in a pot. We do have a couple baby cantaloupes that are doing better. Corn is about a week away for the first picking.

early-girls.jpg baby-cantaloupe.jpg

Reactions: vinny11950
2 solid months here in NE. I have 2 beds empty, after harvest potatoes. What can I grow in that time?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Beans, broccoli, radishes, lettice... lots of things.

Maybe you can start planting a fall garden.

2 solid months here in NE. I have 2 beds empty, after harvest potatoes. What can I grow in that time?

beets are a great option too!

Fall carrots too.

beet greens taste like spinach
we use beet tops, and radish tops in our salads and sautes. They are great additions to the greens. I keep sayng i'm going to get the fall garden going, but not sure where i'm going to put it yet...

i do have 2 watermelons on my plant, and 1 less zuchini plant to mess with. (i tore it out after the bug infestation.)

Reactions: fbelec
Lots of sauce tomatoes ripening. There is another row behind them. Also, an onion picked from a test garden I am managing. Biggest red onion I have ever grown.
sauce-tomatoes.jpg onion3.jpg

Reactions: mass_burner
wow nice onion. that's good on a burger or potato salad and olive oil no mayo

Yes, it's going to be hard to cut into this onion, it's so good looking.

Sauce tomatoes are starting to ripen nicely now. We are going to have a lot of them. There is another row behind this one.

sauce-tomatoes.jpg

OWxYa4bdwEP9FCjWHvxW5k0IZQKFewIqfZ5TIRO0a-4oW-728TuUObHhULW329L4_4mFjWul2SkxA-tGWCM=w474-h631-no.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Brandy Boy - who says you can't grow big tomatoes in the NW?

20180821_174134_resized.jpg

Reactions: mass_burner
in the picture what is the top right
nice tomato bg that would have been just that for a sandwich with a little olive oil and salt
Patty pan squash. Super tasty

It is like a meaty squash. Sort of like a yellow squash or zuchinni, but more dense. Roasted or sauteed is great, grilled thinly sliced pieces are fantastic. Less moisture than other squash.

that sounds great. my mom when i was a kids used to make zucchini parm. made like a eggplant parm but sweeter. that squash sounds like a candidate for a parm:)

that sounds great. my mom when i was a kids used to make zucchini parm. made like a eggplant parm but sweeter. that squash sounds like a candidate for a parm:)
Yes, it sure is!

bg what kind of eggplant is that
Two types there. Megal (French variety) has the rounded bottom and the pointy end eggplant is Shikou. We grow the megal every year. It's tasty and never bitter on the ends. Normally we also grow ichiban, but this year I couldn't find one so I bought the shikou. It's been fine and a good producer, but smaller eggplants than ichiban. We also have a standard black beauty eggplant and a mystery Syrian eggplant.

Brussel sprouts are looking good. I just cut off the terminator buds and lower leaves. This is our 4th carrot harvest. There are 3 more succession plantings in the ground. Onions have been harvested and the tops are drying out. My wife has made a couple batches of tomato sauce, with a few more coming.

brussel-sprouts.jpg carrots.jpg

I've made 5 tall mason jars of super hot salsa, with Cayenne and tomatoes. Only green tomatoes left, I don't think they'll make it with the time left. I'm going to try and continue the two Cayenne pepper plants indoors, but not having a warm and sunny spot indoors, I don't have much hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.