2018 garden thread!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you getting into the orchard business? Cider making?

Cider for sure. The next plantings in the spring will include more cider specific apple trees. At our last place we had one large Mutsu that would yield a couple hundred pounds, and another 6-8 assorted dwarf espaliered trees that we'd get another 200 pounds that we'd take to the local U-brew that had made fruit wine and cider a big part of their business. The 2-300 pounds of windfalls we'd take the neighbour to finish his pigs off in the fall and get a bit of bacon or a roast in return. I've been home brewing off and on for quite a few years and I'm hoping to convert a small area of my shop to a brewroom. We're also hoping as the "farm" develops to do some farm gate sales and maybe I can fully "retire";lol to hobby farming.

We have a couple very old King apple trees that I cherish. It's a great apple, good keeper, good for pie and eating. And it makes great cider. From these old trees we harvested about 500 pounds of big apples and there were a lot left. We donated them to our local fruit club and they picked another 500#. Which reminds me, I need to bottle that cider!

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Kings are on the list...

Gravenstein makes a nice addition for cider. We have one that I am pruning to make it produce more and to be easier to pick. So far it is working. In a couple years it should have a much nicer shape.

It’s still 2018, so I thought I could add to this thread.

My husband kindly planted some garlic for me today. It was 78 degrees and definitely does not seem like winter.

My daughters and I harvested eighteen dozen (more) mandarins today. I have a crock pot cooking some for marmalade now. We thought the tree was some sort of citrus when we bought the house last fall, but it had no fruit last year. We’ve been amazed this year at what is has produced. Here’s a shot of one small section.

AF7B43D5-A7DA-4D9C-99D3-3C3AFCD0D49C.jpeg

Having a few trees fall in your yard is not so bad, lots of chips for the garden!
P_20190101_163752.jpg P_20190101_163652.jpg

Closing this thread. It's time for the 2019 Garden thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.