2022-2023 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I put a new princess 32 in my 1100sqft basement for heating the basement only. It worked out perfect and I only burned about 2 cord of oak. There were a few times I had to open a window but I would chalk that up to operator error. These things can keep up when it's -30 or just maintain when it's mid 40s and rainy. They really are worth the money.
Is your basement insulated?

Could not watch those logs just sit there...

20230820_132116.jpg

Reactions: Highbeam and Larch
Is your basement insulated?
Yes it is. No insulation under the slab and half the basement is garden level so it gets cold with out a fire going. I actually dug a trench today so I can add an OAK to help alleviate the basement install issues.

Reactions: Itslay90
Yes it is. No insulation under the slab and half the basement is garden level so it gets cold with out a fire going. I actually dug a trench today so I can add an OAK to help alleviate the basement install issues.
Thank you for getting back to me, and yeah my basement is not insulated, but I noticed mine is the same way, but the other issues you’re having. I’m not having. I been noticing a lot of people are having issues when a wood burning stove is in the basement

FWIW I heard southbound birds overhead yesterday. And the leaves are turning up here. Will not be long. Mrs P and I have decamped to a 2015 build apartment with an HRV and no woodstove this summer, just tired (and sick) of dealing with outdated tech in an extreme environment. As soon as we are out the trades will come in and then we will list.

I am going to do the maintenance on the stove in the old (big drafty) place in the next week or so. I will take pictures for the air quality police so we can get a waiver to run the stove in AQ events and start a new thread here. Our next place will be about 1200sqft with a Princess, but our current place is a rental with no wood stove at all. I will be in the DIY and green room sections while we build the last place, we are planning to snap up an empty lot as soon as the big old five bedroom place where we raised four kids is under contract.

I will be servicing my stove Saturday 09-02. The sand cranes are airborne and southbound en masse. The birch leaves aren't really dropping yet, but they are turning yellow.

I will also be taking all the pics I need to apply for a waiver from the smoke police to burn during stage one air alerts. One of those pics on my application needs to be visibly active catalytic combustor.

So new discussion thread 09-02-23.

I will be servicing my stove Saturday 09-02. The sand cranes are airborne and southbound en masse. The birch leaves aren't really dropping yet, but they are turning yellow.

I will also be taking all the pics I need to apply for a waiver from the smoke police to burn during stage one air alerts. One of those pics on my application needs to be visibly active catalytic combustor.

So new discussion thread 09-02-23.
The birch trees here in NH have turned yellow and started dropping leaves already. Forecast for next week is in the 80s though.

My yard is covered in black walnut trees, and they've been dropping leaves for nearly two weeks, really accelerating in the last two days. Walnuts are always the first trees to drop their leaves around here, which does a good job of setting me into the fall mood and reminding me that time is limited to finish any undone summer projects. Cool and windy here today, but we're expecting hot and dry for a week starting on Sunday.

Similar here. Saturday looks to be our last warm day. After that highs will be in the 60s.

Birch leaves have started dropping up here. The sky has looked like snow tonight for several days, but none of my left knee, or my wrists or my ankles or my left shoulder are telling me it is going to be tonight. My one biggest bone spur on the left side of C6 is telling me very soon, but not tonight.

Catch you in the next thread day after tomorrow.

Reactions: Dieselhead
Yup. Same on the top of Mt. Rainier yesterday. The first signs of a cool-down have started.

We had upper 40s low 50s overnight for a few, next week, HEAT WAVE! oh well AC got a break for once ha!

Couldn't just sit and look at all the cut up logs any longer. Anyone have a spare tarp?

20230903_121349.jpg

Big splits for a big stove.😉

FWIW I heard southbound birds overhead yesterday. And the leaves are turning up here. Will not be long. Mrs P and I have decamped to a 2015 build apartment with an HRV and no woodstove this summer, just tired (and sick) of dealing with outdated tech in an extreme environment. As soon as we are out the trades will come in and then we will list.

I am going to do the maintenance on the stove in the old (big drafty) place in the next week or so. I will take pictures for the air quality police so we can get a waiver to run the stove in AQ events and start a new thread here. Our next place will be about 1200sqft with a Princess, but our current place is a rental with no wood stove at all. I will be in the DIY and green room sections while we build the last place, we are planning to snap up an empty lot as soon as the big old five bedroom place where we raised four kids is under contract.
Now that there is a separate thread for BK stoves, the stove specific bucket threads are redundant. It's really hard to find past information in these big threads. Individual threads with titles makes searching much easier. That's my 2¢ worth.

Now that there is a separate thread for BK stoves, the stove specific bucket threads are redundant. It's really hard to find past information in these big threads. Individual threads with titles makes searching much easier. That's my 2¢ worth.
I agree. I seem to go directly to manufacturers, BK and all the threads are there.

I do many searches when trying to connect people to past info. A lot of the time I can not do this with the 50 page BK and VC buckets. It just gets too time consuming. Imagine what it's like for a newcomer.

Reactions: Diabel and Ashful
I do many searches when trying to connect people to past info. A lot of the time I can not do this with the 50 page BK and VC buckets. It just gets too time consuming. Imagine what it's like for a newcomer.

IMHO, the creation of the BK bucket thread concept was a mistake. We make mistakes, learn from them, and move on to better things.

Reactions: Diabel and begreen
Time to kick the buckets. May they rest in pieces.
kick-bucket.jpg

Reactions: Todd
Status
Not open for further replies.