2022-2023 BK everything thread

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take the flame guard off and vacuum the cat (don't take it out unless you have a new piece of gasket).
I don't know how you could vacuum behind the cat in an insert (I take the pipe off and get in there, but with an insert you may have to go thru the hole in which the cast is located).
Unlike the stoves with a vertical flue the inserts aren't likely to accumulate much debris behind the cat. Also, I believe the bypass opens differently which could allow better access for cleaning from below. Seems to slide vs. tilt.

As to Jedi's question, looks fine. It's the right color.

Reactions: Jedi
funny you guys still talking about wood stoves when its 90 outside. every year come around April I'm so tired of hauling wood in the house. now come Oct this will be a different story. see ya ll then

funny you guys still talking about wood stoves when its 90 outside. every year come around April I'm so tired of hauling wood in the house. now come Oct this will be a different story. see ya ll then
Ran the patio fireplace last night. Does that count?

IMG_0367.JPG

Reactions: dafattkidd and Jedi
I noticed when I smell the smoke I use a screw driver and move the door up just a little bit on the LATCH SIDE. You can see the door latch pull the door down when you latch the door. I move the adjustment Plate for the latch up 1/8 inch. Works great...

I cut off the welded bolts and drilled and tapped new holes .. Screwed the bolts in from the inside of the stove and it looks exactly what the factory installed ,but in the correct location... I called the company to try to help them out, but they seem to think a bigger door gasket is an easier fix... Did not help me so I changed it back to 7/8.

Reactions: begreen and Ashful
I noticed when I smell the smoke I use a screw driver and move the door up just a little bit on the LATCH SIDE. You can see the door latch pull the door down when you latch the door. I move the adjustment Plate for the latch up 1/4 inch. Works great...

I cut off the welded bolts and drilled and tapped new holes .. Screwed the bolts in from the inside of the stove and it looks exactly what the factory installed ,but in the correct location... I called the company to try to help them out, but they seem to think a bigger door gasket is an easier fix... Did not help me so I changed it back to 7/8.
Which stove? Can you post some pictures of this fix?

I mentioned 1/8 inch ... I moved the door latch bracket up 1/8 inch up.
I went in and edited it. 1/4" is a big move for a latch.

Thanks for the picture. What was the issue, a stinky smoke smell from the stove? If so, door alignment has been mentioned before as an issue.

Nevermind. Guys just made me a great deal on 12' trees of black pine. No where to c/s/s so they'll sit for now.

20230813_125619.jpg

Reactions: Ashful
Nevermind. Guys just made me a great deal on 12' trees of black pine. No where to c/s/s so they'll sit for now.

View attachment 314459
Maybe CSS them right there? They’ll take up the same space either way.

Jealous of your manual trans right now. Mine is awaiting a new auto after our last tow to Chelan.

Hey Ashful, you have power equipment right? Bring the tractor over.....this breaking the back is no fun.

Seeing this reminders me....did you ever post your final NIELS results? I did not find it when I searched. Nice looking stack of wood by the way.
I am about to wrap up my burning of NIELS exclusively. I have burned 3/4 of the fuel and will begin to phase-in my use of the blend of NIELS and cordwood. The 3rd phase will be cordwood only.

I will post my findings in April/May. I t will be titled Cat Quench Fever!

Seeing this reminders me....did you ever post your final NIELS results? I did not find it when I searched. Nice looking stack of wood by the way.
I did write up a summary and posted it here. I'll look for it because I need to amend it. I did clean the stack between intervals of the various fuels and I had not cleaned the stack until after I wrote the review for the final phase of the test.

BKVP

Reactions: Woodcutter Tom
Hey Ashful, you have power equipment right? Bring the tractor over.....this breaking the back is no fun.
Yeah, I use a tractor to move those logs around. Need to build or buy a grapple at some point, but for now I just use chain chokers slung from hooks I welded to the bucket.

IMG_3900.JPG

Why the delay this year? Isn't it cold enough in AK yet?
71º high temp today in Fairbanks, 50º is the forecast low. Looks like daytime highs will be in the 60s through the end of the month.

71º high temp today in Fairbanks, 50º is the forecast low. Looks like daytime highs will be in the 60s through the end of the month.

Unless his insulation really stinks, which I doubt, that means interior temperatures so low that extra clothing will be required. That's very unlike poindexter.

With the new BK forum page are we still going to corral all of the BK threads into one catch all? Or let them work like a regular forum.? I vote for no catch all.

Last edited:
Unless his insulation really stinks, which I doubt, that means interior temperatures so low that extra clothing will be required. That's very unlike poindexter.

With the new BK forum page are we still going to corral all of the BK threads into one catch all? Or let them work like a regular forum.? I vote for no catch all.
I like dropping the catch-all bucket. It's much easier to search on individual postings than through 50+ pages of comments.

I don't see lighting the stove just yet. The birch leaves have just begun to yellow in the last couple days, and the days are getting shorter, but it has been so hot and so humid and so wildfire-smokey for so long this summer no one is in a hurry go indoors.

My observation is if there is no one fat chewing BK thread like this one, the data density in the other information seeking threads within the BK subforum will likely be diluted. My two cents.

This whole BK subforum is essentially the catch-all bucket. Each stove brand now has their own bucket. I'm not sure I like that but it appears to be sticking. Just like the pop up ad windows.

Just like the pop up ad windows.
This forum seems to have had less new discussion this summer than ever before... perhaps coincidental with the appearance of those hateful popup ad windows.

Reactions: kborndale
Status
Not open for further replies.