2260 or 2166

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerhurt

Jul 2, 2014
Vermont
Looking to replace my 70cc saw just wondering if anybody has add any experience with the two listed goods or bad I cut about 8 cord of firewood a year for now up to about 24 inches in diameter thank you for your time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a 2166. Keep in mind it's the same exact saw as a 2172. Both are the same as the Husky 365/372xp

I ran my stock for awhile. Then I ground out the divider in the transfer cover which turns the 2166 into a 2172. The 2172s transfer cover is wide open. The 2166 has a center divider which lowers output 1/2 hp.

Stock 2166 is roughly 5hp. It's heavy for 5hp. However it is stronger than a 2260. The HP is close to the same but it produces more torque and can pull a bigger bar.

Stock 2260 is only a hair behind. It's also an auto tune saw so no carb adjustments needed ever. It's also probably 2 lbs lighter and has a far superior power/weight ratio.

If your leaving the 2166 stock then honestly skip it and go for the 2260. Almost equal performance at 2 lbs lighter.

However if you plan to grind the transfer ( should cost you $50 by a competent mechanic) and lots of 2166 owners do infact do the change, then the tables turn towards the 2166. It would be equal to a 2172 / husky 372xp and far stronger than a 2260 at that point. The mod bumps power to roughly 5.5hp and brings power to weight ratio to a better place.

Both are great saws. 2166 classic design been around a very long time. Typical 70cc pro saw heavy but lots of power. 2260 very light, very nimble, very high rpm saw, very modern design, etc

Around the same price I'm guessing?

Thank you that is what I was thinking of doing with 2166 after warranty was up and I don't know a lot about the auto tune carbs (are they durable ) makes me a little weary of them that's why I like to ask a lot of questions thanks you for your time

Thank you that is what I was thinking of doing with 2166 after warranty was up and I don't know a lot about the auto tune carbs (are they durable ) makes me a little weary of them that's why I like to ask a lot of questions thanks you for your time

I have a 50cc jonsered with auto tune. I use it a lot and the auto tune has never skipped a beat. Works great.

I do believe I heard of problems with the early auto tune models on the Huskys. However by the time Jonsered got the models the bugs were long worked out.

I wouldn't worry about auto tune. They work great and pretty soon all the saws will probably have them. Thank the EPA for that but I kind of like the technology.

I don't know a lot about the auto tune carbs (are they durable )

Based on what I saw in the Stihl M-Tronic saw I recently worked on, the auto-tune system itself can't possibly be as mechanically reliable over the long term as a conventional carburetor, because it's got almost all the same components plus several new ones. An electronically-controlled carb has the same diaphragms, gaskets and metering valves as any older carb, plus the electronic sensors, microprocessor and valve that handle the automatic adjustments. BUT, that's not to say that the reliability will be problematic; failures don't seem to be common, and when they do happen they're often fairly inexpensive to deal with. I have read several accounts of early Autotune Husqvarnas that burned up their motors due to autotune failures, but like Woodhog wrote, that problem seems to have been licked; I haven't read a story like that in quite a while.

If you are used to working on you own saws and are currently confident that you can recognize and solve problems fairly easily, then your ego might take a hit the first time something goes wrong with an Autotune saw, because you'll have to learn how the system works before you can make sense of it. That won't be comfortable, but you'll survive, and once you figure it out it won't be scary any more.

At the same time, these computer-controlled carbs make the saw run better more of the time with less attention, and can also prevent major engine failures due to air leaks or maladjustment that are more common on older saws. The new technology is a set of tradeoffs, not an unalloyed good, but I'd say that for most people the balance favors the new stuff.

Reactions: D8Chumley and BenTN
Status
Not open for further replies.