25-PDVC vent pipe connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLF001

Hearth Supporter
Jan 19, 2009
Central Maine
I am using the Simpson vent pipe and was wondering what is the best way to connect the adapter on to the stove. I had planned on using a pipe clamp but since with this stove the inside pipe of the adapter slides on to the outside stove the clamp I have will not work.

The manual says to use at least 3 screws, but I guess I am just not sure just how to screw it on (I normally hate screwing pipe together).

I am currently still in the process of building a hearth to sit the stove on but hope to get the stove in place tomorrow. Since the house is about 150 years old the floor is not even close to being level (1 3/4" out from front to back of hearth). Even though the manual does not seem to mention anything about being level, it seems to me a stove that depends on gravity to feed would work better being level. :)

welcome to the forum! a pipe clamp won't really be too effective. the vent pipe is too rigid even if you could get it on. I drilled and put one screw on it. Also used the RTV to seal around the pipe adapter and the vent. As far as level goes, My floor is out of level too, sloping downward from back to front. That probably won't affect the operation of the stove. However, you will notice that the baffle or "impingement" plate on the back of the fire chamber will lean forward on the little hook that retains it in place. This is ok according to Englander, but I have found if the plate seats tightly against the back wall, you'll get WAY more heat out of it. When you set it all up, if the plate is leaning forward, wedge a nail of the appropriate diameter in the lower tabs to get it to seat tightly against the rear wall. You will need to remove the nail when you do your weekly cleaning.

We used high temp sealant to seal the pipe to the stove's exhaust adapter, after curing it's quite a solid connection and we've had 0 exhaust issues. Exhaust pipe is very secure.

Our floor was also unlevel - we leveled the stove out because yeah, better safe than sorry.

Same here, just RTV, no screws. It would take some serious effort to get mine appart.
Mike -

I ended up just putting some high temp silicone on the connection.

I have the stove installed in a corner. I have the pipe adapter, Tee, a 1' pipe, a 3' pipe and then the elbow to go through the wall. I placed a wall brace near the top of the 1' pipe (into a 2x3 stud I put in before a put up the sheetrock for this purpose). After having it installed I do not see anyway this could ever come off. I also put some silicone around the wall thimble where the pipe goes through on the inside as well as the outside. Even though there has not been a fire in the stove yet the pipe in the thimble is solidly in there.

I guess in hind sight there would have been no point in putting a clamp on the connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.