25 PVDC I'm at my wits end need help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Scott M

Nov 3, 2012
Blairstown, NJ
I thought I knew the ins and outs of my stove pretty well but I am stumped.

Stove will start, feed pellets, top auger will stop, fire will go out, top auger will feed pellets onto hot coals, fire will start, then cycle repeats. Doesnt matter what settings are. Tried 6,4,1. 4,6,1 on heat ranges 1 and 2. Tried all other heat ranges. no joy. Stove will just not heat up. It acts like its overheating and cycling on the temp sensor. Heres what I have done so far. losing my marbles. If it wasnt so heavy I would have tossed it over the deck rail. Stove bought new in 2014. Burn plate is a bit warped. some cracks by the back exhaust ducting. Only thing left is the control board. I did that a few years back when it wouldnt power the combustion fan.

Cleaned it like never before
Changed top auger
Changed both vac sensors
Replaced all hoses
Replaced temp sensor
Bypassed vac sensors for troubleshooting
Cleaned stove again
Made sure jumper is in T stat plug
bypassed hopper switch for troubleshooting
Cleaned stove again
Checked hole in heat box for vac sensor.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Scott

Double check the setscrew on auger at motor/gearbox shaft. Upper shaft should kick on about every 10 seconds for 2-3seconds.
If not, then I would connect upper auger motor to an electric cord with connectors and plug in a 110volt outlet to test if it works.

Thanks, I checked the set screw and I put my finger on the center of the motor. I can feel it spin every 10 seconds and hear it move. It works fine until the fire heats up then the motor stops turning. then the fire dies. then the auger starts working again. It feeds pellets onto the hot coals and the cycle repeats

A couple of thoughts: Have you checked to see that you're in the correct mode (Mode 'd' I think)? Have you tried swapping the two auger motors (not the wiring, but the actual motors)? I'm thinking you have a problem with the top auger that when it gets to hot it builds up too much resistance and cuts out.

Eric

I thought I knew the ins and outs of my stove pretty well but I am stumped.

Stove will start, feed pellets, top auger will stop, fire will go out, top auger will feed pellets onto hot coals, fire will start, then cycle repeats. Doesnt matter what settings are. Tried 6,4,1. 4,6,1 on heat ranges 1 and 2. Tried all other heat ranges. no joy. Stove will just not heat up. It acts like its overheating and cycling on the temp sensor. Heres what I have done so far. losing my marbles. If it wasnt so heavy I would have tossed it over the deck rail. Stove bought new in 2014. Burn plate is a bit warped. some cracks by the back exhaust ducting. Only thing left is the control board. I did that a few years back when it wouldnt power the combustion fan.

Cleaned it like never before
Changed top auger
Changed both vac sensors
Replaced all hoses
Replaced temp sensor
Bypassed vac sensors for troubleshooting
Cleaned stove again
Made sure jumper is in T stat plug
bypassed hopper switch for troubleshooting
Cleaned stove again
Checked hole in heat box for vac sensor.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Scott

I am currently in the EXACT same situation with the same stove. Did you find any resolve ? It is driving me crazy. Sure would like to turn the damn heat up during this cold snap.

I am currently in the EXACT same situation with the same stove. Did you find any resolve ? It is driving me crazy. Sure would like to turn the damn heat up during this cold snap.
No. Never got it fixed. I am burning propane to keep warm. When I take another shot at it I will replace the burn pot plate and the impingement plate both are warped. I already replaced a control board a few years back and I don’t know if I want to make that big an investment in it.

No. Never got it fixed. I am burning propane to keep warm. When I take another shot at it I will replace the burn pot plate and the impingement plate both are warped. I already replaced a control board a few years back and I don’t know if I want to make that big an investment in it.
I replaced the burn plate in mine, no change. I do have the same stove at my store that works fine. I'll try swapping the impingement plates and report back if it makes any difference. Best wishes. Merry Christmas.

Yes. Please let me know if it works. Thanks. Merry Christmas
I completely forgot about this thread. As I was researching more this year, it jogged my memory.

A year later and the same ol problems. I ended up buying a new impingement plate, wear plate, and auger bearings. And STILL this damn stove acts as though it's overheating on any setting above 3. This to ditch Englander junk and get a better stove.

I bought a 25-pvdc from a dude for $250 a few years ago and he said it doesn't throw out heat like it us to. So I cleaned everything and replaced every gasket and still nothing. So I started to clean again when I noticed that the distribution fan fins were full of very fine dust that was almost the same color as the fins them self, very hard to notice and it filled in the whole area of the fin. I got my old toothbrush out and cleaned every fin and it throws a lot of heat. With all the mods from this forum and a clean distribution fan I'm a happy man.
Great forum members here.
Fred