25pdvc England

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Herbie

Dec 1, 2019
washington
Been burning pellets in my shop for a year this is the second year. I don't seem to be getting very much heat out of my unit manufacture 9/18. I read quite a few posts on trying to dial it in. None of that really factors into my dilemma. I WANT HEAT! I have a big shop (30x40) and it gets cold here most winters are averaging 20-30 on most weeks but I spend all day every weekend day out in the shop and remain cold most of the time, unless it gets 40 outside. Other than a full burn I don't care about how many bags I go through, usually 1 a day.
I burn at 9 and 9 always. LFF just changed to 6 LBA 8 AOT 1. I ran it a bunch last year and played with those settings a lot and now kinda finding out they don't matter unless I'm at 1-2 not 9 and 9. I documented the heat out put on all settings and left it there. So the unit is cycling between heating shut down and startup. Full heat for about 20 minutes then shuts kinda down then display shows startup and then back to heat. Unit never shows shut down but the fire reduces to nothing then starts back up showing startup. No thermostat external to the unit. why does this happen?
I get to about 45 degrees in the pole shop near the unit, the shop is insulated. Not a lot of draft, some.
Does anyone have any info for me?
thanks Herb

I have the 55shp10 and just asked a question about model numbers here in the forum, from the answer I got, mine is the same as you have. I had this stove for 2 seasons now and the first season it was very cold here in Pa. the stove helped but was not heating as I expected. with some research I found there are 4 setting for this stove, A,B,C,and D. C AND D ARE THE HOTTEST. M stove was set at D, and worked ok but very cold nights it failed so I changed it to D, WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE, WARNING THE STOVE WILL BURN VERY HOT! So I changed it back to D and the changed the feed and air rate to 6-4-1 factory setting and works great now, I think someone set it wrong for my area. If you want to try the C setting do this. LET COOL DOWN then Unplug the unit then plug back in while pushing the blower up down buttons, it will show what mode it is now in, ABC OR D. Push the up button to change . let the board go back to normal the unplug and do it again to see if its in C mode, Start out at the lowest burn rate like 1 or 2 to see how hot it now gets the adjust as needed. Mine got 110' hotter at setting #2 so be careful.

I have the 55shp10 and just asked a question about model numbers here in the forum, from the answer I got, mine is the same as you have. I had this stove for 2 seasons now and the first season it was very cold here in Pa. the stove helped but was not heating as I expected. with some research I found there are 4 setting for this stove, A,B,C,and D. C AND D ARE THE HOTTEST. M stove was set at D, and worked ok but very cold nights it failed so I changed it to D, WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE, WARNING THE STOVE WILL BURN VERY HOT! So I changed it back to D and the changed the feed and air rate to 6-4-1 factory setting and works great now, I think someone set it wrong for my area. If you want to try the C setting do this. LET COOL DOWN then Unplug the unit then plug back in while pushing the blower up down buttons, it will show what mode it is now in, ABC OR D. Push the up button to change . let the board go back to normal the unplug and do it again to see if its in C mode, Start out at the lowest burn rate like 1 or 2 to see how hot it now gets the adjust as needed. Mine got 110' hotter at setting #2 so be careful.
Mine is on C.
My assumption is 9 is the hottest and the fan should match. my settings aren't far from stock settings I adjusted to which it hottest from my last readings. so can I assume that 2 would be hotter than 9 , since you stated that is your case?

9 is the hottest setting. do you have a temp gun, mine runs 276' on the top ledge of the door on setting 5 and 9.
maybe your not getting enough pellets into the burner pot, mine stays around an inch high and 4 inches across but it will go up or down at times. Is your hopper door open enough, when I got mine it was almost closed, probably because the screw came loose and the door closed, check yours, it on the bottom of your fill tank , don't stick your fingers in it while its running, maybe vacuum it out to check it.

what i have been finding out is my fine tune is probably as good as its going to get. My trap door is good I'm clean and all the normal stuff to check is fine.
I set the fan at 9 and started at 2. I went up about every 10 minutes and checked the heat at the top of the door. bottom 3 at 681
2-341
3-343
4-355
5-371
just set it to 6
I have not had a cycling yet, so I'm assuming that there is a thermal shut down at some unknown temp probably 420ish. I had a top temp of 401 last year with it at 9 and 9 and bottom 3 at 681. The fire temp on the window is at 600 and has gone up at a pretty good ratio with the door temp.
I'm thinking everything is fine but would like to know if any shop people have theirs maxed out all the time also and are getting the same results. you house people would be turned out after an hour but I have 2400 sq foot of barely insulated concrete and tin to try and warm up. so I'm looking for MAX output for an extended period of time. That's it for today gotta go eat dinner but come next weekend I'm looking for something that will help me get past this thermal shut down. I'd like to not have three layers of clothes on while I work.
BTW I clean the box out once a weekend, and I have some ash and some solids in the fire pot but very thin layer some build up on glass but not horrible. Its a good stove but if I cant get it warmer I will go back to wood fires and have to be in my underwear to not be sweating all the time. ::-)

what i have been finding out is my fine tune is probably as good as its going to get. My trap door is good I'm clean and all the normal stuff to check is fine.
I set the fan at 9 and started at 2. I went up about every 10 minutes and checked the heat at the top of the door. bottom 3 at 681
2-341
3-343
4-355
5-371
just set it to 6
I have not had a cycling yet, so I'm assuming that there is a thermal shut down at some unknown temp probably 420ish. I had a top temp of 401 last year with it at 9 and 9 and bottom 3 at 681. The fire temp on the window is at 600 and has gone up at a pretty good ratio with the door temp.
I'm thinking everything is fine but would like to know if any shop people have theirs maxed out all the time also and are getting the same results. you house people would be turned out after an hour but I have 2400 sq foot of barely insulated concrete and tin to try and warm up. so I'm looking for MAX output for an extended period of time. That's it for today gotta go eat dinner but come next weekend I'm looking for something that will help me get past this thermal shut down. I'd like to not have three layers of clothes on while I work.
BTW I clean the box out once a weekend, and I have some ash and some solids in the fire pot but very thin layer some build up on glass but not horrible. Its a good stove but if I cant get it warmer I will go back to wood fires and have to be in my underwear to not be sweating all the time. ::-)
Herbie how dusty is your shop? Check the convection blower for dust buildup on the squirrel cage. You need to take it out to clean with compressed air. Believe it or not the dust will slow the motor down and then the stove will over heat and shut off until the temp drops. And it doesn’t take much dust. Plus it will move more hot air clean. Also try softwood pellets and do the burn pot mods. Just do a search on here . There are plenty of posts about this. Plus the pdvc should be in D mode. The pdv is set to C

2400 sq ft and barely insulated. You should have gotten a bigger stove. Although the 25 pdvc and its bigger brother 25pdv are good heaters when tuned, your not gonna get the btu’s you need to warm up that pole barn. The concrete will absorb a lot of it. Then theres the drafts. You may be better off with a big wood stove. If you want to stay with a pellet stove the harman p68 or enviro maxx might keep up better. But I would get the shop sealed up and some insulation in the roof and walls.

2400 sq ft and barely insulated. You should have gotten a bigger stove. Although the 25 pdvc and its bigger brother 25pdv are good heaters when tuned, your not gonna get the btu’s you need to warm up that pole barn. The concrete will absorb a lot of it. Then theres the drafts. You may be better off with a big wood stove. If you want to stay with a pellet stove the harman p68 or enviro maxx might keep up better. But I would get the shop sealed up and some insulation in the roof and walls.
insulated with shop insulation R7. budget limited me to what I have. its biggest drafts at the roll up doors and they arent bad at all considering

Yep, sounds like you're asking too much from the stove, R7 insulation isn't much, especially in a 30 x 40 shop (high ceilings?); where is the stove located in the shop? A 30 x 40 shop with 10'-12' ceilings is going to require a lot of heat when its cold outside, I'm not even sure a P68 (as Ssyko suggests) would do it the P68 is very impressive, my 61's really put out the heat & they are the 68's smaller siblings, however; its a lot of space. If you want to stick with Pellets, you may need two of either of the Stoves Ssyko mentioned, myself, I would look into a large wood stove or an outdoor wood (or outdoor waste oil capable such as a Heatmor 400) stove and use a few heat exchangers inside the shop. One large heat exchanger would probably work if you ducted it and had better insulation. The outdoor set-up is expensive, but it would do your shop, house, water heater etc., downside is you have to have a source to feed it either the used oil or the wood. I'm guessing for the price of (2) the larger pellet stoves (especially the Harman's), you would be getting into the neighborhood of the outdoor stove. Another option is the barrel stove set-up (use the two barrel stacked style), but they really go through the wood, but they are no where near as pricey as a large indoor or an outdoor stove. Good Luck.