27 Ton Troy-Bilt splitter - Changing the Hydraulic Filter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
I'm sure this is not rocket science, but I just don't want to wreck anything. When I replace the Filter on my Splitter, it looks like its gonna dump a bunch of Hydraulic oil out because there is a large Fluid Hose above the level of the filter which is going to naturally drain out. Do I change the filter and then overfill the reservoir, then pull oil through the pump by pulling on the starter rope a few times with the engine switch off? I read you can wreck the pump if you run it with no oil. What is the correct procedure? Thanks to anyone for tips, its my first filter change - BTW its a great splitter.

I just put the new one on add a quart of fulid and fired it up! I have the same splitter.

small tank, just tilt up the splitter to get oil level below filter and change it.
on return side, air will self purge.

If it is a large tank, put a shop vac on the breather or fill port. the vac will minimize leaking when pumps or filters are changed. done that many times on bigger 400-500 gallon tanks.

kcj

Troy built splitters should have the oil filter on the return line so there should be no reason to bleed the air. As was mentioned, tilt the splitter so the filter is higher and very little oil should be lost.

LLigetfa said:
Troy built splitters should have the oil filter on the return line so there should be no reason to bleed the air. As was mentioned, tilt the splitter so the filter is higher and very little oil should be lost.

good idea but I didnt lose any with out tilt..

Status
Not open for further replies.