27 Ton Yard Machine splitter. Is this normal operation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
My son in-law inherited older 27 ton yard machine. I tried it today and not impressed. its slow like hell and hesitant when hitting big rounds. Is this OK? The cycle time is 19 sec, according to manual. My 22 ton county line seems more powerful with 13 sec cycle.
Is there something I can do to improve power and speed. It goes trough logs , but hesitates and building power longer than on my other splitter. Engine works ok and hydraulic fluid level is ok.

My son in-law inherited older 27 ton yard machine. I tried it today and not impressed. its slow like hell and hesitant when hitting big rounds. Is this OK? The cycle time is 19 sec, according to manual. My 22 ton county line seems more powerful with 13 sec cycle.
Is there something I can do to improve power and speed. It goes trough logs , but hesitates and building power longer than on my other splitter. Engine works ok and hydraulic fluid level is ok.
19 seconds is quite slow. Check the hydraulic filter, but the only real fix is a bigger pump.

19 seconds is quite slow. Check the hydraulic filter, but the only real fix is a bigger pump.
And darn pumps quite expensive. He is not even full time burner

Just watched you tube video of this machine and yeah, it that slow.

Changed the filter. It didn't help. It’s not only slow. But it hesitates on big rounds more than may 22 ton county line. See the video. Is that a pump failing.? The other splitters of this kind i watched on YouTube had no problems going through anything.

Attachments

• IMG_2864.MOV
    17.7 MB