29 Days until my install and my furnace goes dead!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

swimman

Hearth Supporter
Sep 19, 2008
Rhode Island
We have a 3900sqft colonial with two zone heat. Came down this morning and the heat kicked on fine. About 10am I noticed I was getting colder and thought it was just me. I passed the thermostat and noticed it was on...temperature was set at 68, room temp was 62. Well, it wasn't me, the furnace went dead. My induction motor bearing were starting to go so I thought that was the reason why it shut down. After a service call was place, it was determined that it was the limit switch ($15 part) that was bad. So, now I need a new limit switch and induction motor. No problem except that there are no Lennox wholesalers in RI so the parts are hard to come by. Called a Lennox dealer and they may have the parts and will have to check in the morning.

As of now it's 58 degrees on the first floor and dropping (fireplace is going but produces very little heat but the kids are loving the roasted marshmallows as we are sitting close). My planned install date for a Lopi Yankee Bay is January 6th. Really wishing I had the stove now and we could be nice and toasty. Hopefully the first floor will not get too cold (19 degrees predicted tonight) and start freezing things up.

Bad timing on the coldest day of the year!

swimman said:
We have a 3900sqft colonial with two zone heat. Came down this morning and the heat kicked on fine. About 10am I noticed I was getting colder and thought it was just me. I passed the thermostat and noticed it was on...temperature was set at 68, room temp was 62. Well, it wasn't me, the furnace went dead. My induction motor bearing were starting to go so I thought that was the reason why it shut down. After a service call was place, it was determined that it was the limit switch ($15 part) that was bad. So, now I need a new limit switch and induction motor. No problem except that there are no Lennox wholesalers in RI so the parts are hard to come by. Called a Lennox dealer and they may have the parts and will have to check in the morning.

As of now it's 58 degrees on the first floor and dropping (fireplace is going but produces very little heat but the kids are loving the roasted marshmallows as we are sitting close). My planned install date for a Lopi Yankee Bay is January 6th. Really wishing I had the stove now and we could be nice and toasty. Hopefully the first floor will not get too cold (19 degrees predicted tonight) and start freezing things up.

Bad timing on the coldest day of the year!

Can't you jump the limit switch? Got a portable electric heater or 2? Kerosene heater? Gotta have options.

I'm no HVAC technician - is there any harm in jumping the switch? I can do it but don't want to cause add'l problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.