3” or 4” chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Teddykgbee

Dec 2, 2020
Hurley, NY
Hi guys-

long time reader, first time poster. I have a quadrafire Mt. Vernon pellet stove (non insert) that I’m installing. I was originally planning to vent it directly into my masonry chimney (had all the parts), but I recently found a broken tile liner in the chimney and will now be placing in a liner. I ran all the calculations on pipe runs and bends and determined based on what quadrafire says in its manual, I can use 3 or 4 inch liner. I have 3 coming off of the stove and for cost and ease of installation, I was going to go with a 3” liner. I have the top vent adapter, 4 vertical to thimble, 90 into the chimney, a 12” horizontal run, and about a 16 ft vertical run to the top of the chimney. Assuming all is correct with the manual, am I potentially going to run into any issues no opting for the 4” liner? The chimney is within the house envelope so it should be warmer than an outside chimney. Need reassurance that I’ll be fine with the 3” or a kick in the butt to fork over the extra money for the 4. I made the mistake of purchasing everything for non-liner install. Love and learn, I guess.

Depends on you altitude above sea level.
If you look at the install manual, any
venting over 23 feet (EVL) needs to be 4".
My calculations say you are at 28' ...

1606996091231.png

I would use 4". then a cleanout tee behind the stove and 1 at the top of 4" where it goes to your 12" piece. Then you can clean everything without disassembling pipe. Just have to brush long vertical from the roof. Actually w/ 4" you can usually get the brush and rod around a 4"90, but may be hard to go up that high thru a 90. 3PVP-TADX41 this is the part number for a PelletVent Pro tee that converts 3 to 4" and the 3" is the appliance adapter built in direct connect to stove.

Reactions: Ssyko
I wouldn't even think of running a 3" liner. I have about the same setup and mine is 4" up and 3" from the tee to the stove. If you run 3" and it doesn't work well enough the aggravation you'll receive will be more than the extra cost of the 4". JMHO
Ron

Thanks, guys. I've been convinced. I ordered the 4" liner today. I realized that an inadequate 3" would be a more expensive and aggravating scenario than the extra $100 that I had to spend. I have a straight run down the chimney with no offsets, so I should be able to get this in without much trouble. I'll also have the extra tee cleanout in my chimney which should sit just a few inches above my cleanout door. I suppose sometimes you just need that extra push to make you do what you already knew was the right solution. Thanks again.