3 inch cold air intake for basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kglassner

Nov 14, 2022
Pennsylvania
Hey, everyone, I recently acquired an Englander 25pdvc. I installed it in my basement. It has a 2" outlet for OAK. I downloaded a manual and it says that I should make it a 3 ". My basement is exposed on the wall that I have the stove sitting against. My pipes only have a vertical rise of 4 ft. I was wondering the reason for the 3" instead of 2". Thanks

Hey, everyone, I recently acquired an Englander 25pdvc. I installed it in my basement. It has a 2" outlet for OAK. I downloaded a manual and it says that I should make it a 3 ". My basement is exposed on the wall that I have the stove sitting against. My pipes only have a vertical rise of 4 ft. I was wondering the reason for the 3" instead of 2". Thanks
The smaller size is restricting the air the stove needs. The manufacturer likely has tested both and determined the 3" is what the stove requires.

The smaller size is restricting the air the stove needs. The manufacturer likely has tested both and determined the 3" is what the stove requires.
It's saying it needs a 3 inch , because it is in the basement. I was just wondering what the difference is, being in the basement. Thanks, though

It’s the distance it needs to travel, think about using a long small straw and a larger straw in a drink….which one flows volume better?

It’s the distance it needs to travel, think about using a long small straw and a larger straw in a drink….which one flows volume better?
Understandable. Didn't think 4 feet was very far....ill convert it this weekend. Maybe that's why im gojng through so many pellets. I can burn a bag overnight. With a heat range set on 4. Other settings are set to factory yet. 6-4-1