3 year holtzhausen results

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kennyp2339

Minister of Fire
Feb 16, 2014
I built this holz back in December 2015, I just took it apart yesterday to fill the woodshed, last fall I burnt 3/4 of the dome because the ash was getting way to dry. I top covered the stack for the winter using to tarps. My findings are pretty good, the center wood was just random thrown in pieces, everything seemed fairly dry, there were a few damp pieces from were the tarp leaked, The total amount of wood was about 4 cords (wood be more if I had the dome top)
This storage solution is pretty good if you have a ton of wood with limited space. The cons on this stack was the amount of crap (mouse nests) I had in there, tons and tons of leaves & mouse crap, I've never seen anything like that in a wood stack.
Would I do another one? yes and no, I have a wood shed now that holds 2 years worth of wood, I only really burn about 4 cords a year so this type of stack is not really needed, but if I run into a deal that involves a ton of wood, I will use this method of stacking because you get a lot of wood in a small space. 12-14-15 020.JPG

I built this holz back in December 2015, I just took it apart yesterday to fill the woodshed, last fall I burnt 3/4 of the dome because the ash was getting way to dry. I top covered the stack for the winter using to tarps. My findings are pretty good, the center wood was just random thrown in pieces, everything seemed fairly dry, there were a few damp pieces from were the tarp leaked, The total amount of wood was about 4 cords (wood be more if I had the dome top)
This storage solution is pretty good if you have a ton of wood with limited space. The cons on this stack was the amount of crap (mouse nests) I had in there, tons and tons of leaves & mouse crap, I've never seen anything like that in a wood stack.
Would I do another one? yes and no, I have a wood shed now that holds 2 years worth of wood, I only really burn about 4 cords a year so this type of stack is not really needed, but if I run into a deal that involves a ton of wood, I will use this method of stacking because you get a lot of wood in a small space. View attachment 226451

Thanks for sharing. How many rows? One on the outside and one on the inside? And then the randoms inside that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. How many rows? One on the outside and one on the inside? And then the randoms inside that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Only the outside ring was stacked, everything else was just tossed in and how it landed was how it laid for 3 years, the outside ring was 10ft diameter and the main wall was stacked about 5ft high before transitioning to the dome.
Again, I am going to go back to strait row stacking, unless I get a delivery of 8 cords worth of wood, then I'll just do (2) holz's to save space.

I wanna build one when I get far enough ahead on my stockpile. As of now I’m trying my damnedest to get as much seasoned before winter, single rows only top covered with lots of space between rows.

Reactions: kennyp2339
i did mine for a little over a year, and I was pleasantly surprised with the results. there were some very wet aspen logs that were on the bottom that dried out pretty quick. A few of them I had to toss back into the stacks, but overall, it was not a bad way to do it. I did it more for fun, and the neighbors enjoyed looking at it too!

Would I do another one? yes and no, I have a wood shed now that holds 2 years worth of wood, I only really burn about 4 cords a year so this type of stack is not really needed, but if I run into a deal that involves a ton of wood, I will use this method of stacking because you get a lot of wood in a small space. View attachment 226451
You do know that if you had made it a cube with the same dimensions for the sides as the diameter of the holtzhausen you would be able to store even more wood in the same size footprint? I seem to hear a lot people saying you can get so much wood in a smaller space by constructing a stack this way. But mathematically that is simply not true. A cube always has more volume than a sphere of the same length sides vs. diameter. Simply put, a ball will fit in a square box but a cube will not fit into a sphere, sides/diameters being equal.