37 Ton Northstar Log Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I have the 30 ton, and don't see the need for a 37. That being said, I love that splitter. Does everything you ask it to and then some. Built very well. I love that it idles down when the wedge is retracted, especially when you're splitting by yourself. Gets nice and quiet instead of screaming wide open the whole time.
The throttle cable rubbed a hole in mine, I think I mis routed it. Gave them a call (splitter was almost 2 years old then), they sent out a new throttle cable free of charge no questions asked. I'd highly recommend it. The Honda engine on it has been living up to its name, and always starts easily.
Below is a pic of what I've split with it, including some really gnarly stuff with knots etc same size as that log.

splitter.jpg

I have the 30 ton, and don't see the need for a 37. That being said, I love that splitter. Does everything you ask it to and then some. Built very well. I love that it idles down when the wedge is retracted, especially when you're splitting by yourself. Gets nice and quiet instead of screaming wide open the whole time.
The throttle cable rubbed a hole in mine, I think I mis routed it. Gave them a call (splitter was almost 2 years old then), they sent out a new throttle cable free of charge no questions asked. I'd highly recommend it. The Honda engine on it has been living up to its name, and always starts easily.
Below is a pic of what I've split with it, including some really gnarly stuff with knots etc same size as that log.

View attachment 290187

Those Honda engines sure are nice. It was the one of my requirements for choosing the splitter. I did get the 4-way with intentions that it would really come in handy but actual use has proved otherwise. But then, I really don't split my wood into small pieces.

Those Honda engines sure are nice. It was the one of my requirements for choosing the splitter. I did get the 4-way with intentions that it would really come in handy but actual use has proved otherwise. But then, I really don't split my wood into small pieces.
I also have the 4-way, always left it on. I still haven't made up my mind if I like them or not. On some pieces it works great, others not so much. It also likes to bind up slowing things down

Reactions: yooperdave
Hands down I hate the 4 way!! I’m upset I spent the money and darn near drive myself crazy until I got my hands on it it Literally took me longer to put it on and take it off then I used it it slows things down way too much for me I mean you got to have the perfect size pieces for to work halfway OK and I just think we’re changing back-and-forth in my opinion I like the single I bought some 6 foot stuff. A Majority of my stuff is size I take the slabs you’re like my buddy in there how do you like a bump into him he lives in my wood pile

DD306D3A-33F7-4C62-AB15-D5FFC236ED54.jpeg 0CE4C68B-D053-42A2-86FF-87618A5EADFB.jpeg FFE468D2-0CFF-424E-928D-0B461CA56BEF.jpeg EB689AFD-4EFD-4ED4-8103-213E3185082B.jpeg C0D95026-45B5-4575-BEBE-C09E9F1024B6.png

I literally tripped on him that night he was around my left ankle 😳😫 I’m not a snake or spider fan at alll!!! So you say you’ve had your 30 ton a couple years now ??? How’s it holding up ?? Mine turned a year old end of this month. My biggest complaint would be the bolts loosening up constantly the double nut on the controller lever loosens and leaks but that’s my only complaint and maybe that it rattles a little loud every now and again but I like the idle down feature as well one the motor starts one or two poles max ever since I’ve had it but I will see the vibration literally the tables that are on it broke where the bolts hold on the table on a couple of ball holes the vibration I don’t know if there’s something with mine that’s excessive that’s you know causing the issues I’m telling you about that’s why I’m asking if you’ve had any thing like that other than that solid machine but I mean I’m talking about almost all the bolts. The big bell around the ram that comes loose all the time I don’t even keep the fenders on it and the control handle that that’s always loose I can’t keep them tight I’ve tried unless there’s an ancient Chinese secret that I don’t know about.

For the vibrations issue, check that your engine to pump Lovejoy connection is in good shape and centered to each other. An out of round connection could be the cause of the vibration.

I literally tripped on him that night he was around my left ankle 😳😫 I’m not a snake or spider fan at alll!!! So you say you’ve had your 30 ton a couple years now ??? How’s it holding up ?? Mine turned a year old end of this month. My biggest complaint would be the bolts loosening up constantly the double nut on the controller lever loosens and leaks but that’s my only complaint and maybe that it rattles a little loud every now and again but I like the idle down feature as well one the motor starts one or two poles max ever since I’ve had it but I will see the vibration literally the tables that are on it broke where the bolts hold on the table on a couple of ball holes the vibration I don’t know if there’s something with mine that’s excessive that’s you know causing the issues I’m telling you about that’s why I’m asking if you’ve had any thing like that other than that solid machine but I mean I’m talking about almost all the bolts. The big bell around the ram that comes loose all the time I don’t even keep the fenders on it and the control handle that that’s always loose I can’t keep them tight I’ve tried unless there’s an ancient Chinese secret that I don’t know about.
Nylock nuts or locktite to solve a few of your headaches

Yes I also had some bolts back out, making it rattle. I used some blue loctite, haven't had an issue since.
My control lever has been just fine, I'm not sure what double nut you're referring to.
However when I put the splitter together I added a bracket for the valve block, I didn't like that the only thing it on was the fitting on the cylinder.

bracket.jpg