4' Red Oak pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amateur cutter

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 20, 2010
West Michigan
Here's a few pics of today's fun, even the dog was worn out. A C
. 100_0491.jpg100_0494.jpg100_0492.jpg100_0489.jpg

Some nice size oak, what length bar did you use?

zap

Some nice size oak, what length bar did you use?

zap
24" 3/8 full chiz skip on the 064. Rocked the chain out once, pretty common in yardbirds, but oh well.

Amateur,
Rookie question. What does "rocked the chain out" mean?

That's a nice one, AC. You gotta get a big bar, makes the big ones funner! We're doing a big Norway maple tommorow, gonna be a little technical but I like 'em that way. I like seeing the splitter on the jobsite, that's usually how we do it too!

Amateur,
Rookie question. What does "rocked the chain out" mean?

I use it as a generic term for hit something way harder than the chain, in this case I'm guessing it was metal. The tree had a blue streak in it, that usually means metal in oak. Thrashed a fairly new chain pretty good, but I filed it down & went back to work. I needed the break anyway LOL.

That's a nice one, AC. You gotta get a big bar, makes the big ones funner! We're doing a big Norway maple tommorow, gonna be a little technical but I like 'emthe that way. I like seeing the splitter on the jobsite, that's usually how we do it too!

Looking @ an 066 big bore saw with a 36" bar, just trying to get the guy to get off it. 100.6 cc oughta do it I think. Yes the splitter is the only way to go, I cut/noodled those big rounds into 1/8ths, & they were still 100+ pounds, 1 or 2 I'll carry to the trailer, 20+ not a chance. Pull the splitter to em is the only way. Forgot my milk crate though.;)

Reactions: ScotO
AC, Nice looking Red Oak. My son and I have cut a bunch of Red Oak (and White Oak)the last 2 years, not quite that big but close.
Here is one on the ground and split to loading size.
Doug Rzr Cutting Wood 3 2012.jpg

And my favorite, White Oak

IMG_20110115_091523_2.jpg

Looking @ an 066 big bore saw with a 36" bar, just trying to get the guy to get off it. 100.6 cc oughta do it I think. Yes the splitter is the only way to go, I cut/noodled those big rounds into 1/8ths, & they were still 100+ pounds, 1 or 2 I'll carry to the trailer, 20+ not a chance. Pull the splitter to em is the only way. Forgot my milk crate though.;)
That's bad.....25 Dennis demerits==c

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Hey AC are you all done cutting on the fence rows (I think that was you right?). I was surprised to see pics in a yard and not in a farm field. Course you got the fever too.

Those big bars rob a lot of power and are rarely needed. As you allready Know a 24 " bar will do a 48" tree.

AC, your photos look like OSHA" How To" pictures. Hard hat, chaps, eye pro, ear pro, face shield...I cant tell tell but I bet those are steel-toed boots? Well played. I try to always wear eye and ear pro, and most times I remember the chaps, but I haven't sprung for the hard hat-face shield. How do you like it? Is that one from Stihl ?

AC, your photos look like OSHA" How To" pictures. Hard hat, chaps, eye pro, ear pro, face shield...I cant tell tell but I bet those are steel-toed boots? Well played. I try to always wear eye and ear pro, and most times I remember the chaps, but I haven't sprung for the hard hat-face shield. How do you like it? Is that one from Stihl ?
I absolutely love mine (Stihl). ear protection, face shield that doesn't fog up and a hat all in one. Much handier, less trouble than 3 different PPE. I don't like the ear and face shields and only wear them when I am actually cutting, With the helmet, both just easily flip out of the way when I don't need them. I bought the same for my son and he scoffed at it until he used it. Now he loves it. We will see what AC thinks.

Hey AC are you all done cutting on the fence rows (I think that was you right?). I was surprised to see pics in a yard and not in a farm field. Course you got the fever too.
He he he he, ummmmm no. Yea that's me in the fence rows, next time we go back I'll shoot some pics of that property too. ( Finally got my camera back ). That fence row job is longer term, like the next couple decades, we got the two pastures cleared of the tops from the logger, now it's a matter of clearing back to the fences one field at a time. About 15 25 to 40 acre pastures & fields to do.
This oak was too big for the property owner to handle, so myself & a friend went in and hacked it up. They covered fuel & food, & we got all the wood, about 4 1/2 cord. I cut my buddy & wife split, & the owner loaded trailers, so very little grunt work for me.==c

Yep, steel toes with cut resistant uppers, those are Snap On anti vibe gloves too. As far as safety. I'm an advocate, my grandfather died in the woods from a widow maker to the head, & I took a lesson from that. I love to cut & work in the woods, but I own my own business, ( read that no work/injury, no groceries ) so I'm pretty careful. I've got an 8 month old grand kid that I wanna be around to watch grow up as well. Enough stuff can go bad even when I'm paying attention hence the gear.

As for the helmet, too be honest, it fits good, but I've had to replace the headgear already after a year. I'm gonna go with a rockman pro this summer & see how that holds up.

FWIW Stihl did warranty the headgear no ?'s asked so no complaints there. Prior to the Stihl helmet I had a Peltor brand for years, that worked fine, but the newer ones didn't seem to fit as well. Maybe my head's gettin a little square with age?;lol

Those big bars rob a lot of power and are rarely needed. As you allready Know a 24 " bar will do a 48" tree.

Yea, this tree actually got tipped over with a 20" bar on a 660, I wish I'd been there to see the guy it, I talked with a little bit yesterday, & he was not an amateur by a long shot. I won't run any more bar than I have to, for power as well as weight reasons. That being said, I will try the 36" on the 066 mentioned above just for fun, if I ever get it that is. A C

That looks like a pretty solid tree, at least the trunk. Was the top bad? Why did it get cut?

That looks like a pretty solid tree, at least the trunk. Was the top bad? Why did it get cut?

In the way of building a house, had it been me, I would've done some limbing & trimming, & moved the house site slightly. There was nothing wrong with the tree, other than it leaned toward the neighbor's slightly. Barring a tornado or other wind event it would've lived a long time yet. Kind off a waste imo, buy it wasn't my say so. Too bad though. A C

Well, it's a lot of nice firewood for you. I got 6+ cords out of the trunks of three 4 footers, and two of them were pretty rotten in the center. Everybody else took the the tops, but nobody wanted to deal with the big stuff. I still get a kick out of the pile of splits from one of those rounds.

Very nice Amateur. Hey, you even have the splitter set up right too. Your pictures show you have class.

Might be fun to tackle a tree that size once, nothing but cottonwood get that big in my area.
Lots of BTUs there.
Nice set up with the saw , splitter & haulers, Great pics.
Good job!

Might be fun to tackle a tree that size once, nothing but cottonwood get that big in my area.
Lots of BTUs there.
Nice set up with the saw , splitter & haulers, Great pics.
Good job!

Thanks Dennis, vertical is the only way on these monsters, as stated above, I forgot the milk crate though.:mad:

Dave, thank you too, that setup works pretty well. I can keep 4-5 people busy splitting & loading on those big ones. We can haul about 3 cord @ a time with the two trailers.
I forgot to shoot a pic of the old 1 ton Diesel Ford hooked onto that blue trailer. 1987 F 350 6.9L 4X4 with a 5 speed manual, really boosts the amount we can haul. Next up is gonna be a dump trailer.

Yea, the big ones are fun about once year, they make me appreciate the 2' Ash & Cherry we've been cutting. If you ever get down here I'm bettin I can find another big un to play with. They seem to fall into my lap pretty regularly these days.

Remember, it's not just firewood, it's an adventure. A C

Here's some nice candidate fuel that's been laying around for over a month, about a mile from my house near some new home construction. The largest part of section on the right is about 5' in diameter, the smaller section to left about 3'. I'm not sure what type. Red Oak? My Husky 445 (18" bar) could handle most of what's there, except for the biggest part. I'm thinking about asking if I could have at it. -- Mike

bigWood_2.jpg

Here's some nice candidate fuel that's been laying around for over a month, about a mile from my house near some new home construction. The largest part of section on the right is about 5' in diameter, the smaller section to left about 3'. I'm not sure what type. Red Oak? My Husky 445 (18" bar) could handle most of what's there, except for the biggest part. I'm thinking about asking if I could have at it. -- Mike

View attachment 65409
Don't know till you ask :) Worst thing they can do is say "no"
Would be a great score!

Status
Not open for further replies.