.404 x .063

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
Was thinking about buying 25 feet (or more?) and making some chains. The deal is that I have a handful of saws that use this, and several misc bars to go to those saws. I don't know how many DLs each of those bars take because they didn't come with chains. I could google and take a stab at ordering loops hoping to hit the right size, or could use this as an excuse to start making my own chains. Would anybody be interested in ordering loops from me? I'm thinking I'll never use all of that chain because these are for hobby saws and it would be nice to recoup a couple of bucks. Price would be basically what I pay plus shipping. Baileysonline will make a loop at .30 per DL plus free shipping, I think. This comes to .15 per DL plus shipping. Not a crazy good deal, but I bet you'd save a couple of bucks.

anybody interested?

Just a slow day and tossing lots of ideas around in my head ;)

Look on the bars, most of of them list the drive link count as part of the bar ID #, sometimes separately as well.

these bars do not.

a couple have the gauge and that's it.

should have put something about fiskars in the title. Could have received a lot more traffic that way apparently...

Or the word "chain".

BB, don't you have some moderating to do somewhere else?

p.s. it's been awhile since I've posted the "how to" for the magical Fiskars.

fiskars-splitting-jpg.25046

The Fiskars is a lot cheaper than a saw that will pull .404.

Pretty sure my Super 250 cost less than my fiskars. But that's just initial cost, doesn't include the gas and chains, etc. (or the new oiler I had to buy for it)

I recently became nominal owner of a 1050, but it's still a couple hundred miles away and I haven't even handled it yet. I don't know what pitch it's set up for.

I have a few PDF files that have bar and chain info and I believe drive link count for different bars and chains is part of it. Too large to post but I can email them if you'd like.

Thanks Bret! I was kinda hoping they would be more than just Stihl info, but those look like they could be handy.

It's the older McCulloch saws that often elude me. The thing about just knowing the bar length is that some of these bars are different heights, so that could add an extra DL, some have barely any taper towards the clutch, that could add another DL, etc. I used my feeler gauges to confirm the .063, and they are hard nose with no sprocket, so basically if they fit the mount bolts and oil channels line up, I can run them on any of my older Macs.

Starting on page 41 of the 5mb file there other manufacturers info about chains but no drive link counts. Might be able to cross reference the part numbers between the 2 files and find what you need.

Not sure but the last number in the series, (example 63 PMC3-52) the 52 might be the drive link count.

Yeah, don't see any .063 numbers on any of the McCullochs. Don't see my McCulloch 250, the super 250, or the Mac-15 or the Super 44a. Kinda wish I was sitting here at work with the bars on my desk so I could take measurements, etc!

Status
Not open for further replies.