4300 Quadra Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad3

Feeling the Heat
Feb 13, 2007
Southeast CT
Alright guys help me out for a friend.
He is using this stove and is getting pretty short burn times. I asked about NS vs EW burns and he is getting shorter burns with EW. What can anyone say that I can send to him for a bit of help. What have you found that works. I'm talking about burn controls as well as wood.
His stove is getting to about 600 in about 1 hour, but is down to about 200 4 hours after. Is this usual?
Thanks for any help.
Chad

Good, seasoned hardwood I presume? If I pack my Quad 4300 on a good bed of coals and reduce the air to minimum, I only have to throw on some smaller spilts in the morning to get it going again. I'm using 2 year old maple and beech: nice...

My external stovepipe temp (single wall, 14 inches up from stove) at minimum air usually runs about 250.

cmcramer said:
My external stovepipe temp (single wall, 14 inches up from stove) at minimum air usually runs about 250.

Same here cmcramer...............

Attachments

• 600x450PIC_0475.jpg
    600x450PIC_0475.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 279
I was more curious about how to go about longer burn times and what you do. My Oslo will run 8 hours and have coals for a relight his is out.
Wood is seasoned fine, gets to temp fine, just short burn times.
Thanks for the replies fellas.
Chad

If I am correctly understanding one of the themes of this forum...it's all about the wood being used and the stove's draft....

That being said, all I do is pack the stove full with maple and beech, and immediately turn down all air as far as possible: no big technique to it. There is no doubt that your friend has both air controls al the way closed....right?

It could be the size of the splits he is using or the wood is extremely dry or he is mixing in softwood or lumber scraps. 10 small splits will ignite and burn up faster than 3 big ones.

Another possibility could be that he has very strong draft and needs to cut it down. Can you describe the wood he is burning and the height of the flue off the stove?

I'm thinking the second. He puts very small size splits in it. I'll have to see what he can get out of it with larger splits. I'd guess about 20 feet of pipe total.
Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.