441cm or 461

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coltbean

Sep 15, 2015
Arkansas
I found a 441cm brand new in Stock. Trying to decide between it and the 461. I keep reading about the money tropic being nice. 441 is $100 cheaper, weight same, .4 less hp than the 461.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: OldLumberKid
The biggest factor might be that the 441C-M has a computer-controlled carburetor, while the 461 is a conventional saw. The 461 can make more power if it's tuned correctly, but the 441 tunes itself correctly and might be at the top of its game for more of the time.

I was in a very similar sitation to you about 6 months ago and I too found a new leftover stock ms441c (m tronic version), I paid $600 brand new never had gas in her no bar or chain though.

I am a moderately experienced chainsawer and this was my second m tronic saw, I also own a ms201tcm.

The m tronic saws have a different feel and sound to them for the first 20 seconds while the computer does its thing calibrating/optimizing for the environment, elevation, dirty vs clean air filter, temperature etc and after that they are very smooth fast Erving saws. They never flood and start very easy when warmed up.

The 441 is a unique saw in that the same weight gets you a bigger saw in the ms461 with more hp and a standard carb. Personally I like the newer chassis design and the improved anti vibration system that the ms 441 has and I find the m tronic to be a bonus, I have sold all my non m tronic saws and switched over. I like the ms461 (I trust my life to one, we cary them on the rescue truck I am assigned to) but personally I would give a nod to newer designs such as the ms362c ms441c or ms661c those all have improved anti vibration systems, the best air filtration and the m tronic setup.

Feel free to ask specific questions as I have a decent amount of saw time on all the above saws.

Jason

ac9fd92f8c3bd93eb0ef290521445b86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the ms461 (I trust my life to one, we cary them on the rescue truck I am assigned to) but personally I would give a nod to newer designs such as the ms362c ms441c or ms661c those all have improved anti vibration systems, the best air filtration and the m tronic setup

Jason

View attachment 189276

I wasn't going to add any input but decided to share a thought or two.

Do you want an auto tuned / mtronic saw ? Or do you like to tune your saws?

I have a new Stihl 661. Amazing saw. I love the Mtronic. If your sticking with Stihl saws and your honestly between these 2 saws then I'd make the decision on mtronic or non mtronic.

In my opinion though with these 2 saws don't base it on anti vibe or air filtration as far as these saws are concerned. My new Stihl 661 although a new design in my honest opinion falls short on the anti vibe and more so the air filtration of my Jonsered 2172 ( same saw as Husky 372xp). So what I guess I'm saying is the updates on the 441( other than Mtronic ) are really not that great compared to what your money buys with other brands or vs a 461 in that I'd choose a 441 over a 461 only if I decided I have to have the Mtronic. Otherwise I'd choose a Stihl 461 or a Husky 372 or Jonsered 2172 etc if I was trying to avoid mtronic/ auto tune .

The anti vibe on the ms461 is "firm" and with a days work, leaves me kinda stiff in the arms, chest shoulders. My ms441c on the other hand has a "soft" anti vibe that for ME greatly reduces fatigue.

I agree the 441 has a better anti vibe than a 461. My 661 much like your 441 is a smooth saw. But compared to my Huskys and Jonsereds my 661 is a step behind on anti vibe and 2 steps behind on air filtration. Just my opinion based on what I've experienced.

But power ?? My 661 kicks ass period. But it should it's a big saw. But to me vibrates a lot and the air filter I clean 2 to 1 compared to my Swedish saws. But man did I say power ? It's a beast

I couldn't run a 661 all day. It tires me out but when you have huge trees to cut it's 2nd to none.

Last edited:
Well I'm leaning towards the 461 because of the extra power. I do have a 40" willow oak that uprooted during a storm. I currently have a ms291 with an 18" b &c which is a great saw although under powered for nits weight. I also have an echo 310 for limping. So I need the bigger saw occasionally and just trying to decide on which is better for probably a 24" b&c. From the videos I've seen on YouTube the 461 doesn't seem to bog down like the 441cm does in big wood but I also know that the 441 is supposed to come alive after bogging down for a moment.

I was thinking about this thread today and I might have gotten the cart in front of the horse, not asking what size timber you were looking at and what size bar you intended to run.

24" is not a "big" bar for a ms441cm, I would saw a ms461 will start to really shine with a 26" on up bar.

Whereas the ms441cm has a better anti vibe and would be a better extended use firewood saw, the ms461 gets the nod for dropping large trees and bunking up larger diameter trees.

My ms441cm is on its @10th tank of fuel and get stronger and stronger with each tank, I don't think she has been 100% broken in.

Your not going to go wrong with either saw, make for great discussion for sure.

Out of curiosity what prices were you quoted for each model?

Jason

$850 for the 441 and $929 for the 461. The place with the 461 is where I bought my 291 and stihl string trimmer from. They know me well there and would probably throw in a case for it.

Now get it broken in and then do a muffler mod on it. I did on my MS-362CM and it runs like a ***** ape.

Saw .. we want the saw in the next pics!::-)

loading_lg_w.gif Nice!!!!

~nice

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.