45 Degree Angle in Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StanP

Feb 4, 2008
SW CT
Good morning,

hope everyone is good. Well I got the chimney pipe through the steel roof, but because of the setbacks needed from the ridge and purloin, I couldnt get it in the perfect spot where I could drop right down to the stove. I have decided, to better locate the stove, I will put 2 45 degree turns in it so I can move it 2 feet back, and or 4 feet over. I am using duravent, double walled stovepipe, 8 inch, for a 20 year old VC defiant stove. I have almost 14 feet between my stove and the cathedral ceiling support and 6 feet of chimney on top.

my question is, how much draft will I lose by doing this? Also, how big a difference does it make if I go 4 feet (moving stove 2 feet) or 8 feet (moving stove 4 feet) on the 45 degree angle. Also, I think, I would be better off having the 45s as close to the stove as possible, so that I have the longest straight stove pipe possible directly under the chimney to maximize draft Is that right? thanks.

this is in a log cabin/camp and the stove will see light use at best.

thanks

Stan

I suspect it will be fine Stan. I have 2 45s coming off our stove and draft is good. Try to get vertical as soon as is reasonable.

Attachments

• April08-009web.jpg
    April08-009web.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 2,524
we have two 45s coming off our stove and the draft is fine. the angles are close to the stove and the majority of the pipe is strait. We just got it professionally installed (if that counts for something lol) a few months ago and that is how he did it so it would come out of the roof in the right spot. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.