5.5" 304 smooth wall liner or 316 6" corrugated flex liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KennyK

Feeling the Heat
Oct 26, 2011
Boston
Hi Everyone,

Just got an installer for my jotul F100 stove and liner install. The installer, who seems like a good guy, reasonable, licensed, and experienced gave me two prices - one if I go with a 316 6-inch corrugated flex liner and one if I go with a 5.5-inch 304 smooth wall liner, either liner will be pre-insulated and it's a 30 foot liner to a T for my freestanding stove on the hearth. The 5.5" is called a crossover best flex, is about $100 more that the other, which is regular corrugated flex liner. He said he thinks the 5.5" smooth walled liner is the better option - he said it goes in easer as it's heavier and doesn't bend as much, and going down to 5.5 will leave less of a chance for trouble going down the flue (which is a bit tight), however as it's smooth walled it gives as good of a draft as the 6" corrugated. He also said that these work very well. My one concern with going with the 5.5 is that in the jotul manual, says this: "The inside area of the flue liner must not be less than the area of the stove flue collar and cannot be more than three times greater than the cross sectional area of the stove flue collar," but that may not be applicable to the 5.5" smooth wall (according to a few professionals I've spoken with, this is not a problem with the smooth walled liners as they give more draft. The $100 extra isn't a huge expense, so aside from this (or considering it!), any thoughts?

Thanks!

Good question. 5.5 may work but appears to be illegal since it is in direct conflict with the stove manual’s requirements.

Good question. 5.5 may work but appears to be illegal since it is in direct conflict with the stove manual’s requirements.

Thanks Highbeam. Makes sense! I see a lot of people here on hearth.com talking about downsizing a liner for one reason or another, so I thought maybe it was more about the connection, and I'd have a 6" T either way, but I think you are correct here.