5.5" Liner Kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ponyboync

Hearth Supporter
Jul 12, 2009
NC
Looking to purchase an HI300 and all the dealers are using 5.5" liner kits in their quotes. Isn't the HI300 designed/tested for 6"? Are they trying to make it easier for the install?

And the height?

ID is 12" and the height is about 23'. The damper width is about 5 9/16".
Thanks.

You don't want 5.5". With that stove in that flue, you want a 6"... preferably insulated 6" (especially if it's an exterior chimney). You'll have to take the damper out, notch it, or ovalize the liner to get through the damper, but this is normal.

Wet1 said:
I don't want 5.5". With that stove in that flue, you want a 6"... preferably insulated 6" (especially if it's an exterior chimney). You'll have to take the damper out, notch it, or ovalize the liner to get through the damper, but this is normal.

Yup, that's what was thinking. But everyone kept using the 5.5" in there quotes. I'll just make sure I get the adaptor and purchase the liner kit somewhere else.

Thanks.

If that ID ix 12X12 then you will be fine with 6". But those people quoted 5.5" inch for a reason. And probably a reason we are not seeing from these posts. As to 5.5" in 23' exterior masonry chimneys I have burned into two of them for the last three years and they draft like a vacuum cleaner. And I am north of you. They will do fine in a chimney that height in NC.

Heck, member Todd in Wisconsin is using one and like me has almost too much draft. And none of ours are insulated.

Just noticed that you have an Isokern so you have a twelve inch round chimney.

BrotherBart said:
But those people quoted 5.5" inch for a reason. And probably a reason we are not seeing from these posts.

Sure they are, to make it easy for them to install it. They probably haven't even come out to his house to see his chimney...

Wet1 said:
BrotherBart said:
But those people quoted 5.5" inch for a reason. And probably a reason we are not seeing from these posts.

Sure they are, to make it easy for them to install it. They probably haven't even come out to his house to see his chimney...

If it was just one that is what I would suspect. With several quotes suggesting it, where there is this much poop there must be a pony. And with that fireplace being an Isokern it is a rare breed of cat. Anybody I know would come to see it first just to see one, much less see what they are quoting.

With my 5.5" liner I never had to cut anything... just dropped out the damper and it fit right in... tightly but still moving through without ovaling or anything. If I were an installer, I'd probably go that route but not with that high a chimney... I would think it may be hard to open the door with it going full speed. Well maybe not but you get my drift.

drdoct said:
With my 5.5" liner I never had to cut anything... just dropped out the damper and it fit right in... tightly but still moving through without ovaling or anything. If I were an installer, I'd probably go that route but not with that high a chimney... I would think it may be hard to open the door with it going full speed. Well maybe not but you get my drift.

True dat. With both Todd's and my 5.5" liners you can open the stove doors an inch or so and let go and they suck the door closed. I think these 5.5" suckers, because of less surface area to dissipate heat, stay hotter and create a heck of a draft. In at least three stoves.

BrotherBart said:
drdoct said:

True dat. With both Todd's and my 5.5" liners you can open the stove doors an inch or so and let go and they suck the door closed. I think these 5.5" suckers, because of less surface area to dissipate heat, stay hotter and create a heck of a draft. In at least three stoves.

True dat dat. 5.5" is a great option for a ID 6.5x10.5" flue tile since a 6" liner is very snug.

I just got two different quotes for a Hampton HI300 one using a 5.5" flue and the other 6". If I understand you guys...I can go either way???

If a 6" liner will fit easily, then I would suggest a 6" liner. I've got that small flue tile so I HAD to use the 5.5. It works great and I've only got 17' on it. I've still got to buy a 5.5 brush. If you've got 23' and room for a 6" then that should be a very ideal draw on the chimney, especially if it's an interior chimney (like mine). I had called around to all the stove shops and noone had even heard that there is a 5.5" liner. I live in the South though and our stove shops are horrible. Surprised everyone is quoting you that which is just the opposite from what happened to me. BTW, putting the liner in is very easy. I would consider it if I were you, you'll save a few hundred dollars and maybe a thousand. Good luck.

drdoct said:
If a 6" liner will fit easily, then I would suggest a 6" liner. I've got that small flue tile so I HAD to use the 5.5. It works great and I've only got 17' on it. I've still got to buy a 5.5 brush. If you've got 23' and room for a 6" then that should be a very ideal draw on the chimney, especially if it's an interior chimney (like mine). I had called around to all the stove shops and noone had even heard that there is a 5.5" liner. I live in the South though and our stove shops are horrible. Surprised everyone is quoting you that which is just the opposite from what happened to me. BTW, putting the liner in is very easy. I would consider it if I were you, you'll save a few hundred dollars and maybe a thousand. Good luck.

Hey drdoct. Thanks for the help. The chimney is interior like you said and I think I will try to install it myself. I'm always trying to save a buck. I was just curious why they quoted the 5.5". I guess the adaptor will work for either or I need to specify.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.