500 gallon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KarlK

Nov 28, 2007
Pa
I have a eko 60 that is oversized for now. I did a heat loss and I come up with 32500 btuhr at 0 degrees outside temp and 75 degree house temp. Im thinking about storage and considering 500 gallon . I have hot water baseboard.If Im doing the math right that should get me 6 hours of heat on the coldest day plus time of burn.I live in NE Pa. most of the time it is in the 30 to 40 degree range exept for 1 or 2 weeks. Does that mean I would get 12 hrs or more at these temps? Im thinking about blocking one nozzle to extend burn time and adjusting the amount of wood I put in per fire. Also how long can I go between fires in summer for domestic hot water? I realize I should have more storage but would like to start off with 500 gallon.

KarlK, I'm in the same boat as you. Even in the same area. My current thinking is a 500 gallon pressurized propane storage tank. Wood usage and loading cycles will be a learning experience for both of us this year.
As you know we can get some wild weather. Cold and warm spells. I have a lopi endeavor on the main floor that I plan on using during the January thaws.
I'm very interested in the pressurized storage system that Tarm will come out with soon.

Chuck172 Did you do any calculations on how long 500 gallons of storage would last at these temps ?

No I didn't. But I do recall others doing that calculation. Try a search or I'm sure someone will chime-in.

I'll start with 1-500 gallon tank. Live with it for a while. I'll keep room for another if need be to increase to 1000 gallons of storage. Then if thats not enough, I'll move to Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.