Oil tank filter cartridge replacement interval

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fire_man

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 6, 2009
North Eastern MA
I have a 275 gallon oil tank with a cartridge style canister/filter bolted to the bottom/side of the tank. It feeds an oil fired hot water furnace (the hot air furnace does not get used). I use about 150 gallons of oil per year for the hot water. Does the filter have to be replaced based on time even if I dont use much oil?

The water heater burner nozzle and oil tank filter were replaced about 22 months ago but the nozzle just clogged last week and needed a service call. They replaced the nozzle but did not have a cartridge for the oil tank filter on the truck that day so the filter is still 22 months/300 gallons old.

I'm wondering since they are mixing biofuel in the oil more recently, if its more important to change the filter every year even if the oil use is low?? I've been having it serviced every 2 years for 25 years never a problem until this year.

Last edited:
Good question, i often wonder the same thing. I would usually change it every 3 or 4 years or so. That was when i was burning maybe 150 gallons a year or less. Usually the filter was pretty clean, and i almost never had nozzle clogging.

I do remember many years ago it either wasn't changed for a long time or the oil got very low and sucked up some sludge from the bottom of the tank. That time it was such a thick mess i changed the whole cartridge and filter. Also had to replace the screen / strainer on the oil pump.

I have a 275 gallon oil tank with a cartridge style canister/filter bolted to the bottom/side of the tank. It feeds an oil fired hot water furnace (the hot air furnace does not get used). I use about 150 gallons of oil per year for the hot water. Does the filter have to be replaced based on time even if I dont use much oil?

The water heater burner nozzle and oil tank filter were replaced about 22 months ago but the nozzle just clogged last week and needed a service call. They replaced the nozzle but did not have a cartridge for the oil tank filter on the truck that day so the filter is still 22 months/300 gallons old.

I'm wondering since they are mixing biofuel in the oil more recently, if its more important to change the filter every year even if the oil use is low?? I've been having it serviced every 2 years for 25 years never a problem until this year.
In a cold winter we might burn 1/4 of a tank, a warmer winter about 1/8 of a tank but either way the guy that checks our furnace along with changing the filter said for us, every three years would be good.

Reactions: bigealta
The guy that replaced the clogged nozzle claimed since the oil now contains some biofuel, it's more susceptible to getting contaminated from bacteria over time.

If you are worried about biological contamination, Biobore is the recommended treatment. Its big issue with boat owners. Higher biofuel blends will dissolve sludge and plug up a system. A large fuel oil dealer in Mass got busted in the last couple of years for going with a high blend of biodiesel in order to get tax incentives. The result was lots of customers with no heat due to repeat no heat events in older systems. Most techs recomend changing out the tanks before switching to a high blend of biodiesel.

The guy that replaced the clogged nozzle claimed since the oil now contains some biofuel, it's more susceptible to getting contaminated from bacteria over time.
If you are worried about biological contamination, Biobore is the recommended treatment. Its big issue with boat owners. Higher biofuel blends will dissolve sludge and plug up a system. A large fuel oil dealer in Mass got busted in the last couple of years for going with a high blend of biodiesel in order to get tax incentives. The result was lots of customers with no heat due to repeat no heat events in older systems. Most techs recomend changing out the tanks before switching to a high blend of biodiesel.
I did change out the tank 3 years ago. Against my better judgment they pumped/filtered about 1/8 tank of the old stuff back into the new tank rather than dispose of it. Within a week my nozzle clogged in the water heater and last week was clog #2.

I'll look into the biobore thanks for the tip.

Once biological contamination gets in tank and fuel piping it is very difficult to kill if for good but biobore seems to keep it under control. If you are using the old style cotton filters there are better ones out there but if you have a new tank they may have installed a "Tiger Loop" with an integral higher efficiency filter. The problem is you can "nuke" the contents of the tank, but the bacteria can hide out in the fuel tubing or the filter ad recontaminate the tank . If you use biobore its best to add it prior to a fill so that its gets mixed in with the contents. It pretty nasty stuff so make sure you read and follow the directions.

Here is a link to the company that caused all the problems in the Worcester area.

Sad to say, with the current plans to up the biodiesel content in heating fuel, lots of folks are going to be going through what you are.

As soon as I saw my oil company was advertising how "great" bio fuel was, I knew there was gonna be a problem.
Seems kind of odd I go 25 years without problems and in the last 3 years I get two clogs. Honestly I'm sick of oil heat, tired of the price swings every time someone farts in OPEC and decides to cut production/raise prices.

Last edited:
I need a new tank. But if this is going to be a problem i may just switch to gas. Thing is i rarely use the boiler. Used it maybe 5 days this year. Dreading the thought of the demo of the old 1940's coal fired boiler, "updated" probably 50 years ago, with the old becket oil burner.

For decades oil was a good deal. Safe, inexpensive, no shelf life. Now it's a PITA especially when you consider they are adding the bio crap to it.

I swapped out a 1985 above ground tank and decomissioned the under-slab oil lines. My neighbor had a very expensive cleanup due to an underground tank leak in the mid 90's. The only problem with gas seems to be there are more explosions lately.

For decades oil was a good deal. Safe, inexpensive, no shelf life. Now it's a PITA especially when you consider they are adding the bio crap to it.

I swapped out a 1985 above ground tank and decomissioned the under-slab oil lines. My neighbor had a very expensive cleanup due to an underground tank leak in the mid 90's. The only problem with gas seems to be there are more explosions lately.
Also my insurance charges me something like $150 a year or more, because of the oil tank. I should have switched 20 years ago.

But it's the asbestos pipe wrap over and around the old boiler that i don't want disturbed. And that's impossible if we replace the boiler.

Also my insurance charges me something like $150 a year or more, because of the oil tank. I should have switched 20 years ago.
So that must be the yearly premium in case of an oil spill? That should be optional.
My insurance offered that once I upgraded the tank and lines, at which point I figured the risk was pretty low.

I have a used Roth double contained tank ready to go in to replace my tank. Home Depot sells a "clone" for about $1,200 bucks.

So that must be the yearly premium in case of an oil spill? That should be optional.
My insurance offered that once I upgraded the tank and lines, at which point I figured the risk was pretty low.
Not optional. Usaa. And not even sure that that is for "tank insurance". They said that's the add on fee for any oil tank on the property.

I have a used Roth double contained tank ready to go in to replace my tank. Home Depot sells a "clone" for about $1,200 bucks.
Yes considering searching for a used tank, but also would prefer to figure out how to make gas work. i have the gas line ready to go in the boiler room.

Not optional. Usaa. And not even sure that that is for "tank insurance". They said that's the add on fee for any oil tank on the property.
I would want to know what I was getting in return for the increased premium. If they wont cover tank spills than why is the rate higher? Higher rate implies higher liability so what's their liability?

I would want to know what I was getting in return for the increased premium. If they wont cover tank spills than why is the rate higher? Higher rate implies higher liability so what's their liability?
Yeah i should, but USAA has been very good to me with great rates. I have lot's of stuff with them.