50SSW02 thoughts and pics after using it a few months

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jwfirebird

Feeling the Heat
Sep 18, 2017
western ny
what i really like about the stove after using a normal stove forever is the ability to control the fire and regulate the temps, and it holds its heat forever. It gives you alot for the little money it is. it heavy and tough, i like the height its easy to load. you can fit pretty big wood in it. 2ft or so probably width, when i pack it across the back and smaller front to back. the time it lasts really depends on the wood, its not like the old stoves, i pack it at night and after it burns down the bricks/ash/and metal hold the heat so its got red ashes the next day

A couple minor gripes would be the fan is pretty loud, and the ash gets on it every time i try to clean it, but its understandable they try to make the window as big as they can.

It had the flat seal issue at first till i kneaded it, then has worked fine, it has been used almost every day since i got it, has been great.

20180123_154918.jpg 20180123_154953.jpg 20180123_155829.jpg 20180123_154809.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Based on the side view it looks like it would be fairly easy to open up the top of the rear shield and attach a short convection hood so that the fan blew over the top.

what i really like about the stove after using a normal stove forever is the ability to control the fire and regulate the temps
A range of outputs isn't something I'd normally associate with a secondary-burn stove..thought they just ran either 'high' or 'higher.' I'd like to have a secondary type stove for my backup, just for something different to play with, and the ability to run the stove a bit lower if desired makes that idea more attractive.

This is the Englander stove that has the auto adjustable type lever switch thing on it?

Just it is.

Based on the side view it looks like it would be fairly easy to open up the top of the rear shield and attach a short convection hood so that the fan blew over the top.
The fan base is bolt to the rear shield but doesn't pick any heat from the stove or blow between the shield and the back wall of the stove. It just sits there moving ambient air behind the stove. It doesn't direct air at all.

A range of outputs isn't something I'd normally associate with a secondary-burn stove..thought they just ran either 'high' or 'higher.' I'd like to have a secondary type stove for my backup, just for something different to play with, and the ability to run the stove a bit lower if desired makes that idea more attractive.
Not uncommon at all. We run our stove at different temps depending on outdoor temps throughout the heating season. Some folks that need heat push their stoves to 700º with every burn, but others with the same stove prefer to cruise at a hundred degrees cooler.

i heats plenty on its own, the top is the hottest spot obviously but i normally dont even run the fan. i have a ceiling fan over it use and i made it the lowest point in the house, idea being we have alot of power failures and i wanted something that i could still get heat from in our living room and bedrooms up stairs. the living room is two rooms away but open and and gets plenty warm and so does upstairs because of where i put it, the air can go up theres nothing impeding the air flow on the ceiling.

the man says to put the gauge on the side, so you can change it how you want it. really depends on the wood. i want the long times, so i always put it on low when it gets warm. if you put pine in it, it gets hot fast in here but doesnt last. i normally run ash and some old fruit trees and that lasts 4 hours or so and it 65 to 70 in here depending on outside, It was 80 in here in a few hours with the other stove, if its real cold i might put some more in but not normally, i really dont like the heat, we keep the oil furnace at 60, for when we are sleeping and away

This is the Englander stove that has the auto adjustable type lever switch thing on it?

yes , i thought that would be cool but i never use it. i tried playing with it a couple times, it takes forever to heat from cold and that switches too quick, so for my use doesnt work. if you were using it and kept it hot all the time it would work but i dont

Not uncommon at all. We run our stove at different temps depending on outdoor temps throughout the heating season. Some folks that need heat push their stoves to 700º with every burn, but others with the same stove prefer to cruise at a hundred degrees cooler.

as low as it goes all the time Its normally in the middle of the rutland gauge on the side. If I remember was like 500. if its super cold I will put it half way and its like 6, litte before the "over" line

i have the smaller version of this stove and i love the auto air setback feature. get up in the morning, load the stove, set the air setting to where i want it, and go about my morning routine, make coffee, get dressed, take the dogs out, come back in and the stove has dialed itself in without me babysitting it. great feature.

I v been burnin mostly pine in it. Gets up to 650 fairly quickly , but yes a ceiling fan work much better to distribute heat and doesnt cool the stove too much. Im still blown away over how clean this stove stays .the front glass and even the fire brick still looks new ,which in my NC-30 gets black and charred, and i have to clean the front glass(On the 30) daily. Also i can go for weeks on end before cleaning out any wood ashes in the 50. It seems englander make some solid improvements here.

Great to hear! I'll get that for my next stove when I build my own house. I'm happy with my 30, so if this one is better...I'm good to go.